How do i open the package?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

winterzflamez88
PV Beginner

How do i open the package?

Unread postby winterzflamez88 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:31 pm

I just got a pole delivered to my house today. It's a UCS spirit packaged in a long cyllindrical container and there are metal cap type things stapled to the ends.

Is there a proper way to open it or should I just saw through the end with a knife? (If i do this I'm afraid I'll damage the pole!!!)
<3

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:11 pm

Try cutting through the tape that is over the metal cap, and then using a screwdriver and some needlenose pliers to pry the sucker out...that's what we always ended up doing in highschool.

Maverick986
PV Fan

Unread postby Maverick986 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:58 pm

what i did on mine was I carefully made two cuts in from the end of the tube in towards the metal cap and then a little over the cap edge and pealed away the paper, and then pulled the cap off with pliers or stuck a screwdriver in behind it to pop it out. by doing this i was then able to easily reuse the cap and it was much easier to pop on and off so that the tube still has a cap...if you need to have the cap on a little snugger all i did was wrap some athletic tape around the end to increase the pressure the tube was putting on the cap...or i sometimes just pus it in a little further and grab the edge w/ some pliers.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:11 am

razor blade the end untill you can rip it off so you dont have to deal with that metal cap.. or cliping your pole....

2-15-46
PV Pro

Re: How do i open the package?

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:53 pm

winterzflamez88 wrote:I just got a pole delivered to my house today. It's a UCS spirit packaged in a long cyllindrical container and there are metal cap type things stapled to the ends.

Is there a proper way to open it or should I just saw through the end with a knife? (If i do this I'm afraid I'll damage the pole!!!)

needle nose pliers will work, pull the saples and grab the plug
Bob

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:19 pm

A flat head screwdriver works fine. Just pry around the metal cap, bending it and it eventually comes right out.

Important Note: Before signing the delivery reciept, always pull the pole out of the tube and check it thoroughly for any damage. Once you sign that delivery reciept, the trucking company is no longer responsible for damage incurred during transit. Trust me, in-transit damage happens alot with pole vault poles. I got one that was obviously crushed near the end and the trucking company tried to get me to sign the reciept before I checked it. They were held responsible and I got a new pole.

On a side note -> When I picked up the new pole, the trucking comapny still had the damaged pole lying around. I asked about it and they said they had to chuck it. Guy was super nice and said "I didn't see you take it out of the dumpster" The pole was only crushed on the top 6 inches. I sawed off the crushed part and got a brand new practice pole. Pretty sweet deal.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”