Embarassing PV moments

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Embarassing PV moments

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Wed May 11, 2005 6:51 pm

so..i just got back from school on Sunday, and I'm realllly bored...so i would like to hear everybody's embarassing PV stories...

I'll start...I like to step off the side of the pit and onto the standard pads then onto the ground so i don't have to fall too hard for minimum impact (less distance from pad to ground than pit to ground)...so one day at practice after they had shifted the pit, i stepped onto the standard pad like usual, but it was WAY off balance, and tipped over, and i rolled a couple steps on it then fell on my knees...The whole time I kept my pole held in the air though (i love my pole :heart: )...I was pretty embarassed, but my teammates told me it was graceful :P

I'm sure there's some better ones out there...so let's hear 'em!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 11, 2005 8:09 pm

I somehow caught a pigtail with my top hand at practice Monday (it was really windy)... definitely switched to a bun after that :o

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Wed May 11, 2005 8:18 pm

ok, being a young/dumb/fearless vaulter, i have a few
good stories for this post. i guess the best is my most
recent...ok, so we were practicing last week and i was
kinda off all day, and on this particular rundown, it felt
odd from the start, then about 3 or 4 steps down i realized
my shoe was untied, because i even said it as i was still
running...i knew i shou'dn't've jumped but i did anyway...
so i'm about verticle and i come out of my jump and get
spun around, before i realize it i'm on my way down back
towards the runway (not any part of the pit!) and i was
(so very unfortunatley) stradling the pole...like they say
it was all slow motion and i saw what was coming, my pole
bent again on the way down and when it hit the bottom of
the box it snapped out, hard! luckily i knew enough to jump
as soon as my feet hit the ground and avoided some pain
but the pole def. shot up and caught me and i'll let you
guess where..i slid on my shoulder down the runway about
5 feet and just layed there for like 5 minutes till my teammate
dragged me off...most painful jump i have ever had, now
when something doesn't feel right...i hold up
-sorry about the length but i think i just had to get that one in.
"Just Fly"

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed May 11, 2005 8:39 pm

in teh summer i was teaching these girls how to jump. and im trying to get them to see a good take off position.. so i get a pole, hold where i usually do. i start running from really close take off adn hold that position. it bends adn it spins me all the way around the pole, but i landed on my feet. so i guess that was kinda cool.
today i was trying to get these 2 freshman girls to vault. they asked me if like i get hurt alot or if its real dangerous or anything. adn of course i say no to not scare them adn get them jumping. about 2 jumps later, i jump, i dont really penetrate, legs are over the bar but everything else isnt, i let go. fall on the front pads, the crossbar bounces, i roll into the box, my pole fallson me . then the cross bar falls on me.. i felt kinda stupid after that heh.
. heres a non pv related one. freshman yr im running a warmup around school this girl i know (shes cute) waves to me while im running so i wave back adn kinda turn to face her. than i trip and fall.. ouch haha.
i run, therefore im buff.

lostbvrunner
PV Wannabe

Unread postby lostbvrunner » Wed May 11, 2005 8:51 pm

On my birthday I hadn't taken enough ADD meds and totally couldn't concentrate. I went up to vault and like wasn't thinking at all and... forgot to actually vault pretty much. So I'm sitting on the mats thinking... "wtf was that?" and the crossbar hits me on the head. I had the biggest bump and I was so dizzy that I didn't make opening height! I didn't run the mile very well, either. :P

krupat
PV Beginner

Unread postby krupat » Wed May 11, 2005 9:25 pm

well it was a windy day in my backyard and i was wearing jogging pants to keep warm in. so im jumping, and then i go for another jump. im running down the runway and my spike cathes my pants and i tumbled to the ground. i was so embarassed and couldnt stop laughing at myself tho. ah well...

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Wed May 11, 2005 9:27 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I somehow caught a pigtail with my top hand at practice Monday (it was really windy)... definitely switched to a bun after that :o

I got my ponytail stuck in my helmet once, but i dont think a guy should have a bun, not to mention i dont have enough hair to do it i think; so i just keep my pony tail and hope to God it dosnt get stuck.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Wed May 11, 2005 9:53 pm

krupat, you have pits in your yard? that's awesome!
i'd kill to have a setup in my yard! i'd never stop
practicing, well...you get the point lol. anyway, i kinda
did the same thing, at a meet last week i was getting
my steps and it was cold so i had my warmup pants on
and my spikes got caught and i got all tripped up, didn't
go down but it was funny
"Just Fly"

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed May 11, 2005 10:04 pm

OK, I was trying to help a vaulter who was taking off on the wrong foot. Aftr about an hour I said "here, gimme the pole". I take off down the runway and things are going fine till I take off. My left leg felt like I was on a rubber band. My left leg hyper extended and I tore the peteller tendon. I can still picture it, I'm in the pit looking at my kneecap sittin' on the top of my thigh. Now here comes the embarassing part. The poor kid that I was helping had to firemen carry me all the way across the field (gates were locked) shove me over the fence and then catch me on the way down and poor me into my car and then drive me to the hospital. DUH! Later..........Mike

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:06 pm

While were on that subject, one of the girls somehow got her ponytail caught in a bungee while going over it yesterday.. even more sad it took me like 10 minuets to get her unstuck :o I have about 500, but the most recent was at our last meet.. our team has these really old cheap warm up pants, and it was cold, so I made the mistake of wearning them while I was warming up in the vault.. well I have a pretty good split between my drive knee and trail leg, so of course as soon as I do a warm up vault, I takeoff and my pants rip in half.. naturally its loud enough for EVERYONE to hear, and pretty hard not to notice :confused:
What have you done today to get better?

meg15078
PV Whiz

Unread postby meg15078 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:29 am

It was my turn up to vault and since guys go first and they
took forever to finish the meet was already over with and so my
team was over by the pv pit cheering us on when i went up to go
i took of running and gave it my all to make it up Well using all that
ump to go i farted. It wasnt one of those quiet ones either it was a
loud one so ever one heard it!

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu May 12, 2005 10:43 am

Well, yesterday i was walking down the side of the runway. Where the grass meets the runway. I was looking at some people and talking. There was a huge hole in the ground and i totally ate dirt. My ankle rolled and almost broke, its a good thing i love milk!

At the beginning of the season, at one practice no one was going up. Everyone was scared. I dont know why, but i guess since a couple people couldnt get up that no one else would either. Me being one of the eldest, most wise, and probably the best looking on the team. I was like. I am going to show them how easy it is to go up. I grab a pole that i have jumped on a couple times. All of a sudden everyone starts doing the clap. When i mean everyone, i mean the whole freakin track team. all the runners were resting right next to the pit. So this huge clap is going on. Man am i pumped, i start my run when this huge huge huge head wind just about blows my pants off. I keep going, plant, take off and... come back down on the track. I was in the air just hanging on my pole for like 30 seconds it seemed like. We had a subsitute coach so they didnt know to push me into the pit. Yeah.... i blame that jump on the off beat clap. ;)
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault - General”