Music To Jump To

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:24 am

blazerunner121 wrote:
RoySloppy wrote:
umm in college im pretty sure they cant use headphones inside the track, not like high school where at dual meets theyll usually let it slide, but in college im pretty sure you cant

y though, its not disturbing anyone else?

its just a rule and you should practice it at small meets because when you get to a big meet such as natioals or a conference meet they will enforce the rules so everyone should be prepared

zack

Unread postby zack » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:22 pm

The reason they have this rule is because at most meets there are shots, discus, hammers and javelins flying around. If you have headphones on you can't hear somebody yell if there is something flying towards you. Believe me I've been at meets where there were one or two hammer throwers hit the PV pit. The rule is for safety.

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:46 pm

oh okay ... now it makes sense.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:38 pm

iv never seen Any such rule aroudn here in michigan? in 3 years, iv never seen anyone get yelled at for having headphones on/listening to music at a meet, whatever, and i see people do it all the time, including vaulters. maybe the officials aroudn here just dont care.
What have you done today to get better?

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Unread postby RoySloppy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:58 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:iv never seen Any such rule aroudn here in michigan? in 3 years, iv never seen anyone get yelled at for having headphones on/listening to music at a meet, whatever, and i see people do it all the time, including vaulters. maybe the officials aroudn here just dont care.

its a college rule, not a high school one
VA for Life!!

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:19 pm

ok, well thatd make sense :o
What have you done today to get better?

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:38 pm

our head coach in a big wig in the NCAA, an if i remember correctly, the rule actually comes from not being able to use cell phones in cometition venues because it interferes with the wireless sound systems that most facilities use today. they expanded it to all personal audio devices so people would not miss "last call" announcements and yes, also safety precautions (a rule that they have been weanting to make for quite some time now).

its not a well known rule yet because it was made in the 2004 indoor season just before confrence and national meets.

i think the rule is weak... if you are not listening to the call of your race and you miss it, boy that sucks for you...

Return to “Pole Vault - General”