Vault in the rain?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Should it be against the rules to vault in the rain?

yes
35%
no
65%

Total votes: 37

vault_till_death
PV Newbie

Vault in the rain?

Unread postby vault_till_death » Sun May 16, 2004 7:04 pm

We had our conference meet friday, it was raining, and just about half the vaulters there were slippin on their poles. Didn't look to healthy. When i'm vaulting, the last thing i want on my mind is being able to hold onto the pole.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Sun May 16, 2004 7:11 pm

yes and no....if its really raining, then no vaulting. i was at lindenwoods conference meet the other week, and there were too many people losing their grips. becca retaped her pole i think 3 times.

but if its only drizzling, you just keep a towel around it, or keep the grip area in a garbage bag, and you're usually okay. i've had plenty of meets like that...
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 16, 2004 7:31 pm

Heh it was more than 3 times. Anytime my pole hit the pit (which was soaked) or the ground (which was soaked) I had to retape it.

You should always keep towels, garbage bags, and extra tape with you. As long as it is not raining HARD, you can vault successfully in the rain, but you HAVE to keep that grip dry.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sun May 16, 2004 8:37 pm

yeah, definatley be prepared. i think chalk works well in rain as well

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Sun May 16, 2004 11:12 pm

i say for the most part, that u can vault in the rain as long as u just keep the grip dry but too many people don't and another thing is that rain postpones and delays the even and some people will be vaulting and others have gotten out but aren't allowed to the make up meet where it is nicer. if it is to rain during competition I say run it through to the end because last year at the NY State championships the guys had 80 degrees and a tail wind then the girls the nextday had a headwind and cold rain and they vaulted. I say vault in the rain has to be done once a competition has started to be fair to all.
Go BIG or Go HOME

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Mon May 17, 2004 12:07 am

Jumping in the rain is alright, I find it takes your mind off of all of the little things that will screw you up. I have had 3 or 4 important meets where I had to jump in the rain, I kept my grip dry with a towel and a little chalk, and things went well. I would definately take it easy though if you arent comfortable with jumping in the rain, because you are more likely to hurt yourself.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon May 17, 2004 12:45 am

Skyin' Brian wrote:yeah, definatley be prepared. i think chalk works well in rain as well

Really? The couple of times I tried it, the chalk got really slimy when it got wet. I prefer sticky in the rain.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 17, 2004 12:48 am

The chalk can help if the pole is just slightly damp, but not really wet enough to warrant a retaping.

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Sat May 29, 2004 12:00 am

one meet it was pourin down, and it was windy, i took one jump at 10 feet, coach said i was over 2 feet over it, on my 10.6 attempt i missed all 3. then at the next meet, it was at least 50 degrees, maybe 60, and only rainin alittle bit, and just the pole-vault was canceled. i say yes to vaulting in the rain. if you dont wanna jump ya dont have to, i think the vaulter should be able to make the choice.
heyhey

ccpvus
PV Beginner

State Meet in rain

Unread postby ccpvus » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:28 pm

Back in 82' it was raining so hard at my state meet that when you landed on the pit you landed in 2 feet of water. No joke. It should have been postponed. Three years ago it was raining at an AAU regional meet - because of safety concerns and time the meet officials called off the vault and auto. qualified all vaulters to the national meet.

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:51 pm

thats how it was at Mt Sac this year. you would land and all the water would eat you and it was cold water too. And then it had grass and stuff on it from our shoes so you would get of the pit soaked and covered in grass.

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:00 pm

its okay to vault in light to moderate rain as long as people wear spikes so that they dont' slip. vaulting in heavy rain is absurd. i wouldn't want sheets of rain pounding my face especially if the wind blew against me.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”