2010 NFHS Rules You Should Know for Pole Vault

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: 2010 NFHS Rules You Should Know for Pole Vault

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:29 am

I was told by some USATF officials that you had to beat the record by 1 cm. Sometimes that means 1/4 inch and sometimes 1/2 inch depending on the what the mark is. Maybe Vaultref can answer this.

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00

Unread postby Divalent » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:47 pm

AVC Coach wrote:I was told by some USATF officials that you had to beat the record by 1 cm. Sometimes that means 1/4 inch and sometimes 1/2 inch depending on the what the mark is. Maybe Vaultref can answer this.

NFHS rule is that heights in the PV are to be rounded down to the nearest 1/4 of an inch or the nearest whole cm (rule 7-5-28). So you can't exceed a record by less than those amounts, as the height, even if it actually was set higher by a tad, must be rounded down. (This is the same for most other field events also, except for the discus and javelin, which are to be rounded down to the nearest whole inch or even numbered centimeter (e.g., 0,2,4, etc)).

I would guess that USATF, since I think they officially only use metric, would do things multiples of whole centimeters (or two cm in the discus and javelin).

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:59 pm

I concur with Divalent's NFHS explanation on vertical jump increment setting/recording to be at the lesser 1/4 inch intervals ( 0, 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4) .

USATF however, uses a one centimeter increment in all events (including the long throws).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:56 pm

This is now out of date and being locked. I will make one for 2011 when I get a copy of the 2011 Rule Book and Case Book :)

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”