20ft jumps

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

losgatos
PV Newbie

Unread postby losgatos » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:56 am

More advantages than Bubka huh, the equipment is not better he had the same spirit poles that steve is making now, he had longer pegs, a square crossbar, and two minutes between jumps while competing. I agree he may not have hit the bar on his world record jumps, but bubka hit his fair share of bars. When he came to san jose he hit the bar very hard in the bruce jenner meet and it stayed up. People idolize this guy, yes he has the world record but he is a man. I spent a little time with him last summer not very impressive at all. The person everyone chooses to forget Dutch Warmerdam was and still is the guy to be impressed with.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 am

vault3rb0y wrote:If anything, we keep producing faster tracks, smoother poles, and more defined science to the sport, we have MORE advantage now than he did.

I have to agree with the last poster, the advances in these areas have been minimal since Bubka was jumping. Definitely not enough to compensate for shorter pegs, rounded ends, and shorter time allowed per vault.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:25 pm

losgatos wrote:The person everyone chooses to forget Dutch Warmerdam was and still is the guy to be impressed with.

I don't think any student of the vault "forgets" Warmerdam. Both Warmerdam and Bubka have their well earned place in pole vault history. You may not know it but Bubka's coach, Petrov, gives great praise to Warmerdam by acknowledging many aspects of the Petrov model came from what Petrov learned by studying Warmerdam.

- master

KJax2010
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'9"

Unread postby KJax2010 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Please view this video and look at the bar at 1:32. Yes, it is rounded top crossbar. Oh and I also forgot to mention the bar is at 19' 8.5". He is WELL over it. Bubka for now is the best ever! What makes Bubka the best is he took all aspects from other jumpers and applied them to his jumps until he found out what works best.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SsHMcmPxsT4&feature=related
18 years old
Freshman in College
PR - 15'9"

Return to “Pole Vault - General”