Power Fitness Chute

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Power Fitness Chute

Unread postby ACvault » Mon May 29, 2006 9:55 am

I was looking around at everything track and field and came across this.
http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/ ... ryID_E_261

Has anyone ever used this before, and if so was it helpful?
I was thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to make one if you didn't want to pay the price either.

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:04 pm

i've used one that was smaller and its pretty helpful when you do excelerations, adds alot of resistance.
Save a pole, ride a vaulter

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:09 pm

I tried those back in my triathlon days. I found it was just OK if you wanted to run against the wind, but I soon got bored with it - about two hours into a workout. Hill running will do more for you at a lot less cost (assuming you have hills).

Another inexpensive alternative is to get several used tires of different sizes. Any tire store should be happy to give you used tires for free. It is OK if the tire casing is messed up - you are only using it for weight.

You can bolt 1 1/4" eye through the tread (use fender washers to secure it) and use a inexpensive weight lifting belt around the athletes waist. You can get them at Big 5 for about $15. Attach the tire to the belt/athlete via a 10-15' rope and have them do accelerations dragging the tire. As they get faster, switch to a bigger tire.
Hope this helps
LPVG

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:51 am

if you don't have bigger tires, you can always put a shot put or two in the tire. that ups the intensity just a little :D

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Chute

Unread postby drcurran » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:56 pm

This is a good tool. One word of caution (don't ask how I know). DO NOT RUN IN THE TRACK LANE NEAR A FENCE - THE FENCE WILL REACH OUT, GRAB THE CHUTE, AND DROP YOU LIKE A BAD HABIT!

Dan

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: Chute

Unread postby cdmilton » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:01 pm

drcurran wrote:This is a good tool. One word of caution (don't ask how I know). DO NOT RUN IN THE TRACK LANE NEAR A FENCE - THE FENCE WILL REACH OUT, GRAB THE CHUTE, AND DROP YOU LIKE A BAD HABIT!

Dan

LMAO!
Chris Milton

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”