pole tip protector

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:00 am

Another thought, if elite vaulters didn't protect their poles and they observed the pole was comprimised, I would expect they would replace it (whether they paid for it or a company gave it to them) before it would ever get so bad that it might break there. That might explain why we haven't seen any break at that location.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:01 am

master wrote:Are you suggesting we shouldn't worry about the abrasion that happens at the position on the pole? This is a serious question. When I was in HS and college we didn't do anything like this and the box walls were not slanted either. When I started vaulting again about 3 years ago, the poles I saw had this protection on them and so when I bought my poles I did likewise.

I haven't put tape or guards on any of my poles since high school, and have yet to have one break. I don't like the added weight. They do get a little marked up, but the glass is thicker at the bottom of the pole anyway. One exception was a school that had a concrete box with a sharp edge, and in that one meet we put a pole guard on them. We have access to over 200 poles in my club, some of them as old as 1976, and not one of them has a guard or tape on the bottom, and many of those poles see over 100 jumps a week on them with no breakage at the bottom.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:05 am

master wrote:Another thought, if elite vaulters didn't protect their poles and they observed the pole was comprimised, I would expect they would replace it (whether they paid for it or a company gave it to them) before it would ever get so bad that it might break there. That might explain why we haven't seen any break at that location.

This is true - EB once told me Hartwig had a pole hit the corner of the clamp on a UCS standard (infamous for their sharp-edged clamps), and it put a ding in his pole. Rather than take a chance, he trashed the pole and had Gill send him a new one in its place. That's why you see towels or aquajoggers tied around the clamps in many elite meets.

Still, I know several elites well and have never heard of any of them swapping a pole out because of the abrasion on the bottom.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:35 am

Thanks. That's good information to know.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:13 pm

You have to bend the pole break it. What are you doing to bend a pole in the bottom 8"?

If it's an issue for you, I'd worry more about your bottomfeeder habits than taping the pole.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:33 pm

Like Bruce we have tried sections out of aluminum soda cans with fair results, wrap a section of can (2 inches by 6 inches) around 1/2 of the pole (stiff side only) then cover with 1 to 2 layers of tape. If you start to see the soda can it serves as a good indicator to watch your pole for wear. If a person is really "rowing" their pole they will still rub a hole in this material even if covered with athletic tape. The best material we have tried is steel shim stock in the .005 to .007 thickness range. The only time my son has trashed this material is when he does "flips" off his pole into the mats. I think he really cramps the pole into the box when he attempts this feat. Actually the edge of the box that contacts the pole is exactly 9 inches above the bottom of the pole tip (butt plug for those who prefer this name). If a person puts a pole protector from 6 inches to 12 inches above the end of their pole this should take care of all problems when jumping on "standard" boxes. We attend a school meet that has a concrete ledge above the top of the back of the box, If a person is really getting a pole to move we add an extra shim above the existing one.

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Wed May 25, 2005 8:54 pm

We wrap all of our poles with about 2 layers of athletic tape starting on the plug (just to lap it over) and going up about 6- 10 inches. Never really thought about it.

Mildly off-topic - what would cause a pole to shatter, to just completely compress itself into the box on plant?

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed May 25, 2005 10:42 pm

We use a thing piece of plastic. Like the plumbing pvc pipe that was mentioned earlier. I dont think i can even tell a difference in weight. But with all our beginner pv'ers (mainly the ones that miss the plant box) I think the protector is great.
Just you wait...

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:28 pm

I am looking to make pole protectors for the poles at my school. I bought some 1" pvc pipe and have cut it into 9" lengths/sections. I am hoping to cut it down the middle from top to bottom but am trying to figure out the easiest way to do so. Do I put the pvc pipe in a vice and saw through it just on one side and that's it? Or do I have to do something else to widen the cut for the pvc pipe to fit on the pole?
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:54 pm

"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:34 pm

Yup, that's it, got one of those, I have been tracing it onto the pieces of pvc pipe. I got the angles, just trying to see how to cut/saw lengthwise without lopping off a finger. Do I need to use a vice?
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:39 pm

a band saw would work fine
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”