Music at meets

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

Music at meets

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:20 pm

I see music at international meets in the high jump and pole vault. Does anyone know if boom boxes are allowed at meets? Can a vaulter play a cd while he/she is vaulting?
Thanks,
George

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

music

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:33 pm

During the D1 meets NO electronic devices are allowed on the field.....

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

music

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:51 pm

Thank you. Is a D1 meet a high school meet? And does this change for open meets?
I am a hs coach, but I plan to compete in masters pv meets starting in January.

George

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

great Bubka loop

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:52 pm

http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/19920713_Bubka_611.mov

just copy and paste and watch the master

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

music

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:33 pm

No, D1 means Division 1 NCAA collegiate vaulting. High Schools as far as my experience goes does not have such a rule..

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: music

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:22 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:No, D1 means Division 1 NCAA collegiate vaulting. High Schools as far as my experience goes does not have such a rule..

You will get busted in TX at meets that matter (district, regional, state) for electronic devices, so it probably is a HS rule nationwide.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Maverick986
PV Fan

Unread postby Maverick986 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:56 am

GeorgeN wrote:Thank you. Is a D1 meet a high school meet? And does this change for open meets?
I am a hs coach, but I plan to compete in masters pv meets starting in January.

George

I believe it depends on your state/section rules. I know in NYS Section V with indoor track athletes once the meet has started aren't allowed to wear headsets while warming up nor are boom boxes allowed. I can't remember the exact rules for outdoor but I believe it’s the same. I haven’t seen an athlete dq'd or anything for sitting around with some sort of head set before so as far as I know that’s allowed.

Head set: some sort of personal player device i.e. mp3, personal cd player, etc.

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

music

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 am

So as far as we know, music for the the athletes is only allowed at open international meets?
I have been watching on OLN, and in Paris, Stockholm, ect the jumpers could play music in order to psyche themselves up while performing their event.

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:58 pm

At our meets i think you're allowed to have headsets and stuff at the regular meets, but at invitationals they are usually a no-no. What I wuld klike to have is warm-up music playing at home meets. when our whole team enters the stadium and warms up.

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

music

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:19 pm

I just wonder if it is in the High school rule book that music can or cannot be played during a meet.
And where does it become legal ( if it does), is it international meets only?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:37 pm

In cases where electronics are permitted, I would imagine most meet directors would NOT allow boom boxes.

Headphones are one thing, but forcing your music on everyone else would probably not fly, especially if the PV is anywhere near the starting area.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:46 pm

GeorgeN wrote:I just wonder if it is in the High school rule book that music can or cannot be played during a meet.
And where does it become legal ( if it does), is it international meets only?

There is a huge difference between playing music at a "meet" verses playing music at an "event venue".

Remember those Games Committee people, the "GC"? They can and do per NFHS or NCAA rules restrict the use of electronic devices. That means everything from A to Z and all in between if you get the drift. What you call music falls into this broad catagory.

I've never been to a meet held in the US was this rule was ever waived.

Now, I have have been to many meets where music is played during the meet. It's played by some desginated meet managment person and it is approved by the "GC". The big difference is it's played over the field speaker system for all to hear (whether they like it or not) and not at any specific event.

The real answer to your question is, no you cannot use a boom box at your event venue without "GC" permission and I doubt that would ever be granted.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”