Heel injury?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Heel injury?

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:04 pm

I was practicing longjumping (barefoot) one day and when I took off of my left, I somehow injured my heel, or a spot right in front of it on the sole of my foot. I'm guessing it's just a bruise or something but does anyone have any ideas on how to help this thing heal? It's really a pain when I use that foot to jump or plant playing soccer and stuff.

Thanks!

ifavault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former high school vaulter. Former college vaulter at CC level. Future centenarian WR holder!

Unread postby ifavault » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 pm

Ice, ice, ice. And probably some rest. I'm not a doc, but a little ibuprofin (Advil) probably wouldn't hurt, but talk to your parents first please before you take anything. I'm a physical therapist when I'm not a Pole Vaulter ;) and I can't "prescribe" anything...wouldn't want you to be allergic or something and die.

For icing you can place your heel on a package of frozen vegetables for 15-20 minutes (sit in a chair and gently set your heel down on it)...

or you can 'ice massage' for 7-8 minutes (rub an ice cube on it in circular motions). Don't do it any longer than that (small risk of frost bite if left on longer).

You can ice with either of these methods 2-3 times a day provided you give yourself at least an hour between sessions.

Gentle calf stretching would be good, but if painful, stop! Potentially you could have torn your plantar fascia depending on how you injured it, but hopefully it is just a bruise. Good luck.

Sincerely,

ifavault
"Pole Vaulting...The Natural High"

Maverick986
PV Fan

Unread postby Maverick986 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:51 am

it would probably be a good idea to stay off it as much as possible to help it heal faster too

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:07 am

Buy a heel cup. That ought to make things more comfortable while it is hurting.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”