vaulters help/advice requested

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

tiki man
PV Beginner

vaulters help/advice requested

Unread postby tiki man » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:20 am

I coach a highschool in the Atlanta area and have a kid in his senior year going for the highschool record (currently at 13'). He is vaulting on a 13' 170 from 6 lefts and just missing 13'2". His form is good--and getting better. He is penetrating well and could would have the record easy with a 14' 160.

Any help on finding a pole or suggustions on getting him another six inches on the 13 footer?

more steps??? He is flexing it well, but if he break this pole, his only other option is a 14' 180.
tiki man

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:49 pm

Were are his standards?
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

tiki man
PV Beginner

Unread postby tiki man » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:59 pm

they are full back--30 inches
tiki man

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:29 pm

I just wrote a really long detailed reply and it didn't post and is lost. If no one else responds I'll pm you my phone # and you can call me.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

tiki man
PV Beginner

Unread postby tiki man » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:39 am

well we have a pole on loan for a week and a half. This is a good start and will allow us some more time while moving forward.
RT
tiki man

vaultfan

Montana PV Coaching Manual

Unread postby vaultfan » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:41 am

Don’t know if many people have seen this link. I came across it by accident when searching for information on the narrow grip drill. Anyway, this PV Coaching manual covers a wide variety of stuff. Surely, there will be something in it that will be of interest! :D

http://www.geocities.com/xccoach98/pvmanual.html

TeddyVault
PV Fan

More Steps?

Unread postby TeddyVault » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:59 am

I hope the loaner pole works for you.
If not, more steps on the 13' 170 won't really help, as his standards are already buried. If he starts to really blow through the pole, which could well happen as plants and takeoffs tend to evolve and get better with more practice, you could actually shorten his step to five lefts. Seems like a wierd thing, but, if you have no other option and he starts to really squash that pole it is a possibility.
It sounds like he has pretty good form already, and it would be hard to make suggestions there without seeing it. Just the typical things... Relax on top, don't pull so much as lay back on and let the pole do much of the work, pulling to early gets ya to flagging off the top. Drop the shoulders back, don't look at the bar, right hand to right hip in the rock back (if he is right handed)... Just a couple cues that seem to help sometimes. :)
Good luck to you both!
Vault On
Maybe I wasn't supposed to eat those paint chips?

vaultfan

The 6" Pull

Unread postby vaultfan » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:12 pm

Here's a link discussing the 6" pull where the author describes this simple action to be the most crucial for getting the most energy out of the pole.

http://www.geocities.com/vaultfest/pull.html

Return to “Pole Vault - General”