jumping in the snow

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

batvaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby batvaulter » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:24 am

[color=blue]well its 33 when i woke up this moarning and im thinking il just might move down to texas. but i just checked the weather and they said that it will be a high of 40 so im looking to pr by 6in since the last time i jumped over a bar

gUnitSoldier
PV Newbie

Unread postby gUnitSoldier » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:37 pm

yo only 33 and your complaining yesterday here in pa it was 12 so quit complaining

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:09 pm

i jumped in a couple of meets last year when it was around freezing with possibly just the slightest snow coming down. if you can keep warm you can do well and i was actually able to stay focused and did well in the meets. of coures i have had my share of bad days with perfectly nice weather.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:51 pm

Actually, my best jumps/ pr's have com ein freezing/snowing/raining weather.
What have you done today to get better?

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:41 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:Pole Vaulting? Snow? No way! move to texas.

That's what I thought about 6 years ago Duck - then I made it happen in 1998! ;)
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

crumpman
PV Beginner

Unread postby crumpman » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:49 am

I coach, and in the past we have have some snow in an early meet in Northern Ohio. My guys won the meet several times and in one case the kid's best jump of the year was in that meet in the snow. The worst situation I have seen was in warm weather but the runway went east to west and the comprtition was late afternoon. We vaulted into the wind and the setting sun...my guys could not see the plant box and a big lug of a vaulter from another school won, we should have been an easy 1-2...the jumpers were Vaultin'Chris and Jomrus...very frustrating.
Crumpman
Run, jump and play like you mean it.

batvaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby batvaulter » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:35 pm

well it was better then i thought it would be. well it started snowing and i knew i had to just keep my hands warm and keep my mined straight on what i had to do even when the standars were broke and the bar had no end peices so i just jumped once on little pole and took one jump on my big pole and called it quits cause i was losing energy from the other 3 events.

Horse
PV Newbie

Unread postby Horse » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:49 am

You talk about having snow during the winter at a meet...two years ago at my conference Multis Championship, both days were in sub 30 temps and snowing and this was towards the end of April and I live in South Central Oregon. The good side of things was a pr'd by 400pts overall and won the competition...when i was in high school it was the end of May my senior year and it snow 4 inches during the meet and that was in central oregon...i would rather vault in the snow than the rain, because i havent found anything that i am confortable using for grip on a pole when it is raining...and suggestions (i an not a big of chalk)

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

In the snow two things to worry about

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:20 am

In the snow two things to worry about.
Well alot more than two things to worry about. :idea:

But the two main things are an icy takeoff area :D :) :D
and the yellow snow
:eek:
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault - General”