Improved pole run

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Improved pole run

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:40 pm

here's what went down last night, concentrating on my runs and plants...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XFirtJ_vcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKtTtBkvKI
suck it up.

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:43 pm

i was getting on these huge poles though, and kept blowing through them bad, even if i didn't finish my vaults at all really. coach was afraid i was gona break these 2 poles... a 14' 150 and a 14' 160... and i only weigh 135...
suck it up.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:06 pm

Getting there.

The run is better, but your arms are still a bit noisy. Better than before, though! Keep focusing.

I agree with your coach. I would try lowering your grip a few inches. If you look at your video, your hips stop rising when the pole starts to unbend. This is because of your locked out left arm (even when trying to swing and invert). Hit a nice tall plant with a little bit lower grip and let that arm "pull" in as Agapit would say. At that point, you want the pole close to you and your arm is keeping it at arm's length away.

My $0.02
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:25 am

thanks, i've been really workin on it.

i moved up on some big poles and when i do that, i have a tendancy to post that bottom arm out because i'm afraid i'm not penetrating enough. but i'm getting there.

if you look at the videos i posted in my other thread, where i had a terrible run and plant, the top of my vault was better and i wasn't posting with my bottom arm. But now its just a matter of getting it all to come together.
suck it up.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:05 pm

It doesn't look like your bottom arm is that bad. Just rowing both of your arms out in front as you swing, which blocks you out and keeps you from connecting on top and catching the energy you've created.

Bigger poles will only amplify this. Stay on a smaller pole and work on it.

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:58 am

AVC Coach wrote:It doesn't look like your bottom arm is that bad. Just rowing both of your arms out in front as you swing, which blocks you out and keeps you from connecting on top and catching the energy you've created.

Bigger poles will only amplify this. Stay on a smaller pole and work on it.

Ok see thats what i thought...

but my coach says i'm bottoming out those poles when i vault with them. he keeps trying to get me on bigger poles.

i think i'm going to follow your advice though, because i don't want to get rejected on some huge pole and run the risk of injury because of it.
suck it up.

EPVaulter1
PV Wannabe

Unread postby EPVaulter1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Not to be rude... but I see it a bit different... take it or leave it but i'm just tellin you what i see
First of all... you're run does look pretty decent
It' a pretty blury video but it looks like your plant isn't too bad either... but right after the plant is where your vault falls apart
You need to jump up more.... your pretty much just running right into the plant box
You are going to your back too quickly (i had the same problem and that's why i am trying to help)
By going to your back too quickly it is causing an un-natural bend in the pole - like it's going to break
With this awkward bend it is making it harder for you to get inverted and essentially finish your vault like you said... it almost makes it appear that you are getting thrown by the pole
I would reccomend doing pop-up drills.... they've helped me a lot
just start about 2 feet above your standing grip and a really short approach... as you get more comfortable you can move up
really concentrate on keeping your trail leg back.... i do 3 different main phases to my pop-up drills... each one leading to the next... once you get better and more comfortable you can add a couple more
1. start by keeping your trail leg back and your lead leg up - landing in a lunge position
2. start with the same thing as 1 but swing your trail leg up and land in a seated position keeping your trail leg straight and your lead leg up to create a figure4 position with your legs
3. continue the swing to get inverted - keeping your body as close to the pole as you can
hope it helps
RJ
130lbs
5'6"
PR - 13'0"

Just Go!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”