Video crit.

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Video crit.

Unread postby plvltngdude » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:31 am

Here is Tom my brother. He is about 125 jumping on a 13' 140lbs pole. His Pr is 12' and any help would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXh20oARqI8

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:51 am

idk if its just the video, but his grip looks narrow, or at least a lot more narrow than mine. but other than that, it isnt bad. he doesnt run super fast, but that will come with time. and try to have him turn into and with the pole, and not shoot his legs out over the bar. and the last thing i noticed, on his run. it looks like his strides get longer as he gets closer to take off, they should be getting shorter and quicker. just have him thinking about getting his last steps down quick, he'll go pretty high i;m guessing. good form for only 12 feet.

Good Luck
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Unread postby plvltngdude » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:31 pm

For some reason Tom always streaches stride at the end of his run so he will be under. He has tried to break this habbit with pole runs and sliding box but whenever he wants to jump he forces his step to be in.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:02 pm

kinda what i do, have him hold higher, or even higher on a bigger pole for pole runs, so he can feel what running through take off, and taking off where he should be(further out). thats what i did, and now taking off at 10-6 is normal, i was always a foot or so under, but yea, just get his steps down fast and the end of his run, and it'll come with time
PR- 15-1

Great season, time to top it

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Video

Unread postby Vault Chick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:29 am

Hey, this video is at Chico!!!! Cool, that's where I wanna go! So far. Well, to me it looks like he could stay on the pole longer to get totally back on it. It just likes like he gets off a little early, where he could go higher if he stayed on the pole a little longer. BTW, what meet is this?
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Unread postby plvltngdude » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:37 am

Chico Relays im pretty sure.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:34 am

His grip looks fine to me, you don't want to wide of a grip! All depends on where you go for camps and what technique you are looking for. The one major thing i saw would be his pole carry! This affects his run majorly! He is starting ok, but then he brings it down and runs with it at his hips; Bad! You don't want to bring the left hand down to plant, you want to bring the right hand up! When you run with the pole at your hips it can cause you to run longer at the take off when you should be turning it over!. Try to correct this pole run and plant problem. then work on other things.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:35 pm

to me, the only thing that seems to be preventing your brother from being a 15 foot jumper is the run and the top. When he plants, he actually does a fine job of letting the shoulders act as shock absorbers, and then fighting the pole away and up. This plant should be enough to allow him to jump much higher. The only problem that i would suggest working on is the pole carry, the pole drop, and a more dynamic swing with an early turn so that he doesn't flag and fall out. He should be working a lot of pole runs along with jumping at very high bungees... maybe 2 feet or so above his PR and trying to get up at them. Hope this helps.

Coov
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:24 pm

Maybe its just me, but it seems to me like he isnt finishing the take off and drive phase. As soon as you leave the ground, you are swinging. You should try to jump off the ground as explosive as you can, which should cause a long trail leg to come back. Finishing that take off and swinging from that position will make you go up poles VERY fast. Im not going to guest how high you could go, but easily 3 or 4 poles up and probably 3-6 inches on your grip.

But yea for a 12' jumper things look exactly like they should other than that! Great hand position and you look pretty connected with the pole on top! :yes:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Unread postby plvltngdude » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Sadly he is a senior so i dont think he has time to change his pole run/carry and get good results from it fast enough. Dont get me wrong I absolutly agree with what you are saying but its just going to hurt him changing his run before helping. Also he is on the biggest pole we got, that he can use. (the next step up from his 13' 140lbs is a 155lbs 14'. Thanx every one for all the input

Cemical
PV Newbie

Unread postby Cemical » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:48 pm

What how many vaulters do you have in your team....That's a lot...There are 5 people in our group...That is better because coach spends more time with us
One man, one pole,oooo how we rule the world

flashgordon0123
PV Newbie

Unread postby flashgordon0123 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:00 pm

it looks like he could ride the pole longer and lean his shoulders farther back and let them drop below his hips not just parallel

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”