Please tell what Im doing wrong!!!!!!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
hjpv
PV Newbie

Please tell what Im doing wrong!!!!!!

Unread postby hjpv » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:32 pm

You can check my video at this site:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 2033971003
I have been jumping one year and 7 months
Age-16
Weight- 139
My height- 5'6
Now Im going to eleventh grade
The pole is a 140, 14 feet
My grip height is 13 feet
The height that I am jumping in the video is 11'4.

I know I am running well, I am taking off well, I am doing the rockback and I am getting inverted, but the thing is when I am going to pull and turn I can't do it very well :mad: . Tell what could it be?? Do I need a stronger pole???

hjpv
PV Newbie

Unread postby hjpv » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:31 pm

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong???? I'll appreciate it!!!!!!

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:45 pm

That's a hard angle to really see what you're doing. Do you have other video from the side?

hjpv
PV Newbie

Unread postby hjpv » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:13 pm

no too bad I dont have another video!!! but thanks anyway!!!

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi HJPV
Even from the angle the film was shot, here's what I see
1. You are under on your takeoff. Your hips look like they are forward of your shoulders just as the pole begins to bend.
2. You are blocking with your lower arm. I can't see if, or when, you lose the blockout, but it is causing you to get in front of the pole as you are attempting to turnup. This, in turn does not allow you to ever get to, or behind, the pole. It causes you to "flag out (think of a flag being blown by the wind. The flag is straight out), so you jump less than, or equal to your grip height.

Corrections:
Recognize that the following is in an ideal situation. You need to do a lot of drills to help you overcome your technique problems
1. Do short run work. No more than five strides. I personally would coach you from three strides.
2. Emphasize speed and be tall. Start fast and go faster. Do not bend at the waist to gain speed, rather be tall.
3. check your takeoff spot. You should be at a point where you are up on your toes and your chest is slightly in front of your feet when you are fully extended.
4. Focus on pushing UP, not forward with your bottom arm. This will help you stay behind the pole, rather than get in front of it.
5. Work on making contact with your right forearm to your left thigh. If you can do that, you are getting behind the pole.
6. Above all, focus on the process of jumping, rather than the outcome. Ultimately, you should be able to jump about a foot over your top hand grip. I coached a female athlete that could jump 10'6" from three strides our, holding at 9'6". (she was only 4'10". Her pr was 12'3")

If you want to see some drills to help you, let me know.

Good luck
LPVG

hjpv
PV Newbie

Unread postby hjpv » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:03 am

Hey man thanks a lot!!! I understand all you said, and I would like to see some drills that could help me to get better. Thanks for the help!!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”