help before states, please?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
vballswimvault
PV Wannabe

help before states, please?

Unread postby vballswimvault » Mon May 28, 2007 6:53 pm

itd be great to get some comments on my vaults before the friday state meet...
i know my form is not the best, but if there are any redeeming qualities let me know and then of course what i could improve and how to improve it.
i was kinda ashamed of putting my vaults up, but ya know i guess everyone has to start somewhere right?
also... itd prolly be good to let you all know im dragging the pole because i hurt my wrist this season, but after states im going back to carrying... i think the lack of speed might be hindering me, but i know i cant change it by friday.
btw--im a junior, height 5'8'', weight 140, pr is 10'1'', the pole im on in these vids is a 12' 150 and im gripping at the top. at one point i was on a 12' 135 gripping at 11' and i made 10', but i know with gripping at 12' my inversion is not quite where it should be.

this is a 10' make...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 2032363957

and this is a 10'6'' miss...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 2032365409

thanks in advance for any replies!!

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Mon May 28, 2007 7:40 pm

well one thing i see, that a lot of people have problems with, is the plant. your left arm and hand comes in almost to the point of hitting you in the face, but then you get it out as the jump goes on. what you should do is have it out and let it come in when you plant, but do bring it in when you start to get your hips up. and if you do hit it, you'll have to go up to a stiffer pole because of the correct plant.

Good luck at state. kinda wish i was going :(
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Hey, for a 10' jumper, you're technique isn't all too bad in my opinion.

I like how when you start to swing, you keep your trail leg extended and I like how you keep you drive knee driven.

However, I have a question to ask you. When you plant, are you actively trying to bring the left elbow (the bottom elbow) to the inside of the pole? It sort've looks like you are. I'm a little unsure about this, but I'm pretty sure you're not suppose to actively try to bring the left elbow in to the inside. Again, I'm not to sure, and hopefully someone with more experience can clear this up.

Good luck at states!

(I'm not a coach, so some of the things I say may not always be accurate)

vballswimvault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vballswimvault » Tue May 29, 2007 9:52 pm

alright, thanks guys!
i am aware my plant needs a tonnn of work so i did penetration drills at practice today... but its way hard to incorporate it into my actual vault =(
oh well, over the summer i hope ill get it
ill let you all know how i do at states!
[any more replies are welcome of course XD]

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed May 30, 2007 6:36 am

When you plant, are you actively trying to bring the left elbow (the bottom elbow) to the inside of the pole?

It looks like you're just a little late getting off of the ground. The pole is making contact with the box way before the take off. Part of that is from the pole push with no pole drop. Your swing looks good for this stage of the game. Good luck at state.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”