How am I doing? 13' bungee

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
sduvinage
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.97
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

How am I doing? 13' bungee

Unread postby sduvinage » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:57 am

Not my best jump but hey, its on video!
I think it represents my average jump.
I started vaulting in February.

The bungee is around 13'.
Im on a 13' 140lb holding 12'6"
I weight 126 ish
5 step run

Any comments or criticism would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wRIGm2l1i8

for some reason the video only works when I play it with the HD button, at least for me. So try that if it doesn't work.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: How am I doing? 13' bungee

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:44 am

sduvinage wrote: Any comments or criticism would be appreciated.

OK ... maybe not the comments you wanna hear, but I really hope that you and your coach do something about these 2 issues ...

1. Get the damn poles off the front bun! You may not land there very often, but when you do ... and YOU WILL, sooner or later ... you don't want to get your feet (or even worse - your head) tangled in those poles while you're trying to crash safely. If you've ever landed on a pole ... even in the middle of the pit ... you will know how HARD they are. :no:

2. I hate tapping ... so much that I refuse to comment on any jumps that have been tapped. What am I supposed to say? That you had enough pole rotation to make the pit? I honestly don't know ... becuz YOU WERE TAPPED! Not that your coach cares about what I think, but I'd be happy to chat online with him directly to try to understand WHAT POSSIBLE REASON he might have to tap you. I can't think of ANY good reasons to tap. I see that he did it on your 13 foot jump too, so it's not just a one-time thing to get on a bigger pole. It's a bad habit ... for him and for you. If he keeps tapping you, you're going to DEPEND on him tapping you ... which is obviously illegal in a meet, so why do it in practice? :confused:

Maybe if he stood back a couple steps, he could SEE what you're doing wrong on takeoff. I actually know, but I'm not in the mood to tell you. :mad: I doubt that you know ... cuz you're not feeling your OWN momentum driving you towards the pit. Yikes!

I know I promised to comment on your vault recently, but you gotta show me a vault that's ALL YOURS ... and then I'll comment on it! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

sduvinage
PV Wannabe

Unread postby sduvinage » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:58 am

That coach is Anthony Curran at UCLA.
I think you might know who he is?
He did not tap very hard, or so it seems but i have no trouble getting in on that pole as it is fairly small.
( I personally don't like being tapped...)
I don't think the tap affected my take off very much.
I don't know who put the poles on the pit but they were not there earlier that day.
He is not my full time coach and that is actually the first time i vaulted with him.
I would greatly apreciate it if you could tell me the things that came to mind with this vault as for i don't have any other video.
Thanks.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:09 am

Yes, I've met Anthony Curran (he coached Stephanie McCann), and now that you mention him, it does look like him. I'm very surprised that he's tapping you ... I USUALLY have a lot of respect for him, so I'm very surprised. Was he worried about you making the pit? :confused: I will send him a private email to discuss this ... constructively.

Can you post anything else where you're not tapped? Maybe from last year? Or maybe get some vid on your next practice?

You're under, leaning back on takeoff, you're dropping the lead knee, your trail leg isn't long (it's bent), and you're not swinging your trail leg thru. It must be hard to swing your trail leg thru when you're being tapped on the shoulder. If you were tapped on the hip, then you could at least get some rotation. NO, I'm NOT advocating getting tapped on the hip either!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

sduvinage
PV Wannabe

Unread postby sduvinage » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:21 am

I don't think he was worried at all because i had all the previous jumps with that pole and i made it in comfortably with him doing that same tap on every jump.
I have asked someone why and what they said was that it provides the vaulter with the security of getting in okay. :confused:
Again this is the first time I have vaulted with him and he might be just on the "safe side"?
Im not sure though.
Thanks for the tips and good luck on your "mission" to determine why coaches tap. :D

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:34 am

Morning,

I have views on tapping that are different than Kirk, but they are moving closer to his the more I train, however we can all agree on keeping that front bun clear. Anyhoo, the fact that he is tapping you really changes allot that we can tell you about your vault. Something that we can talk about is your inversion.

One thing I like to see is a strong pull through, that action of tugging with the right shoulder needs to be more assertive and explosive. Simply put you need to cover the pole more, and tug on that right shoulder better. If you can get your right hand to right hip as you pull thought that will mean you are probably in a good position on the pole, and will put you in an easier position to fly away from. One way to see this is chalking up the bottom of your right hand, so as it rubs on your shorts it leaves a mark on your cloths. This will tell you if you are getting the hand to the right hip.

Just one thing you can focus on...
cheers
bel

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:12 pm

sduvinage wrote:Thanks for the tips and good luck on your "mission" to determine why coaches tap. :D

Its quite easy. They were tapped by their coaches, have never had a bad experience with tapping, and have instant gratification when their vaulters move the pole to vertical better. It builds the confidence of vaulters that dont know any better. Also, when vaulters get better regardless (as they do when a coach like Curran really knows his stuff), why change one little part of their coaching just because a couple guys online tell him to? He's successful the way he is so doesn't see a reason to change ANYTHING....

...which leads to a stagnation in a coaches ability to get better, because they aren't open to changes :no: .

You need to finish your take off better. If it werent for the tap, your hips would be sucked under so prematurely you would probably come right down in the box. It doesn't feel like hes tapping you much, but you said that he tapped you in almost all your jumps that day, so how would you know? Work on being behind the pole and upright and extended before you swing.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

sduvinage
PV Wannabe

Unread postby sduvinage » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:05 pm

vault3rb0y wrote: It doesn't feel like hes tapping you much, but you said that he tapped you in almost all your jumps that day, so how would you know? Work on being behind the pole and upright and extended before you swing.

I have videos of all the jumps that day.
I didn't even know he was tapping me until I looked at the video. :eek:

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:55 am

KirkB wrote: Yes, I've met Anthony Curran ... I will send him a private email to discuss this ... constructively.

Anthony replied to my email saying that 95% of the time he's spotting and not pushing. He also said that this is his standard practice ... for 27 years with over 100 athletes per year (including clinics) ... with not a single injury due to falling in the box or on the standards. I also mentioned the issue of the poles on the front bun. I'm satisfied that Anthony is one of the best coaches in our sport ... IMO. Altho we don't agree re "tapping", I respect his position on this ... since he's in the trenches and I'm not.

He closed his reply by saying ...
thanks for your work in keeping our sport safe

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”