Mid Mark Chart

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Mid Mark Chart

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:27 pm

PM dj, he asked me to take it down from the site.

Vaultdadof2
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach, Parent, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Vaultdadof2 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks Becca,
I found a copy.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:22 am

good morning

my email is davidfjohnston@yahoo.com

i dropped my aol email

dj

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:06 am

Personally, I think DJ's chart is too important a piece of data not to have access to. If anyone needs a copy I can probably provide you a copy if you are serious about the vault.. He'll probably shoot me for saying this, but Bubba publishes the chart anyway

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:44 pm

He'll probably shoot me for saying this, but Bubba publishes the chart anyway

bang..bang :D

dj

Vaultdadof2
PV Beginner

Unread postby Vaultdadof2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:39 pm

I really like the way the chart was formatted on here. I'm glad I found the one I printed out before in was taken down.
The one from Bubba's site is a little to "Colorful" for my taste.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 pm

hey

i have it in a word doc.. feet/inches and metric..

email me and i'll send it to you

dj

Vaultdadof2
PV Beginner

Unread postby Vaultdadof2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:48 pm

David,
Email Sent

tennpolevault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Collegiate Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.65m

Unread postby tennpolevault » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey DJ,
you coming to Knoxville anytime soon? We need to have a session with the guys if you do. Never hurts to get you hammering them on their runs a little bit. :yes: Where are you now?

Russ

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:53 am

Hey Russ

Would love to visit and may be there for the SeaRay...

I think the one and only thing missing from American vaulters is the 20 + step Approach Run.. men and women... give Jenn S. a 20 step approach and she will jump a world record. I know how to do that and will try and post some more of the details later… if you can believe I haven’t posted everything i know about the run already!!

At the first PV "summit" many years ago.. We took Peter McGinnis' data..(Bob and Doug Fraley, Greg Hull and several others) and went down it line for line (I had 8 columns lined up CPA style with Bubka and the top 6 Americans (including Earl and Mike from earlier years and Lawrence, Nick H. and others) and compared them number for number. Takeoff angle, pole bend, swing angles, speed of swing.. etc..

The speed of the run was the ONE item that had a “constant” throughout the chart. Every “best’ jump, by every vaulter on the sheet was accompanied by their “best” speed over the last 5 and 10 meters, EVERY... And to have speed at the takeoff you had to accelerated to a “curtain” speed by the six step mark (we even tried to use a radar gun from the sheriffs office to check the speed on the runway) or you would not have the best speed “AT” the takeoff. In other words you can’t go from 0 to 9.7 in two steps. It has been proven over and over that no mater how fast you can accelerate..... a longer run will get you closer to your maximum potential at the plant/takeoff, if set up and done correctly. We just have to learn and commit to moving back to where we were 20 years ago..

I constantly read comments on here “wow.. look at Duplantis’s run, look at this guy from 25 years ago using a 22 step approach!!! Wow..wow..wow.. do we think that “Dup” woke up one morning with a 20/22 step approach??

Women coming into the vault has been the most awesome thing to happen in the vault in it’s long history.. not only have they shown that the “myths” about upper body strength is “hog wash”.. they have show it is the “pole vault’ and that a pole is a pole.. plus they are all stunningly beautiful.

The down side has been the short run. We have started coaching “down” instead of up..

If we want to get back to the top of the world… my Christmas and New Years “gift’ to everyone in America is “get a long run” and stop bragging about a PR from a short run…

I see the greatest coaches in the world right there.. Morry S.. black Springs, Arkansas, can out coach anyone on the planet… all his vaulters need is a smoking run.. they already out “pole vault” everyone.

Greg Hull has asked what technical items need to be discussed at the “Summit”. Greg has lived and coached exactly what I’m saying… he has been there from the beginning (even the first clinic at Long Beach State that had Brian Y and his high school stud British kid) and it will be awesome to see him help you guys get it done..

I will be glad to Webcam your meeting in Reno and throw in my 2 cents worth.. if it fits what Greg has planned.

More later

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:57 am

Question from Bobby-7626

Running workout
Sent at: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:33 pm
To: dj
Hey dj,
im looking for a running workout to build speed and form. I just don’t really know what kind of runs to do or how long or really what one workout should consist of. I have been base training up until about a month ago so I’m still in decent shape i just don’t know where to start. any info is much appreciated. P.S. Powerplant recommended you.
Thanks a bunch Robert
bobby-7626
PV Newbie

Good morning Robert

The simplest and most straight forward method to build speed is to pull the sled twice a week, 25 lbs or less – with (very light weight) the pole and without the pole..

Do a lot of technique drills in your warm-up.. Especially “quick feet” piston action (20/20’s from Alan’s book) with the ball of the foot striking the ground under the hips.. with and without the pole.. be very aware to never “lean” back in your posture and if they are with the pole, keep the left wrist higher than the left elbow and the elbow (left) closer to the body. The right grip is at the right hip “pointer”.

Number 2....Approach Run Steps on the track with the pole…

Number 3...Sprints on the track at 40 and 60 meters….

Mike Tully, 84’ silver medal, developed his 2 walking and 18 running steps by running hundreds of patterned Approach steps on the track planting into a towel.. all of them filmed and review when he got home from practice to check the speed and posture… and no running over 150m.

Three lanes were set up with “MID’s” of 55 feet, 56 and 57 (Six Stride Coaches Mark from my chart)… the last 6 steps from the “MID” to Takeoff was marked with a big chalk mark or a small cone.

All scientific studies going way back into the 1970/80’s show that sprinting on the track “with the pole” creates increased approach run speeds faster than just sprinting on the track without the pole.

Good luck.. have fun

Dj

Re: Running workout
Sent at: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:25 pm
To: dj
This is all good thank you very much. one thing though i am not familiar with 20/20's i always here about them but no one ever explains what they are. Care to exploit the topic? Merry Christmas to you too and i have no promblem putting this in Pvp i actually already asked this question in the training part and was refered to you ha.
Thanks again Robert oh and by the way i live in Florida near Tampa

Good morning again bobby-7626(it's 7:48am for me Dec 26)

i live in Alachua, FL.. just outside of Gainesville... but I'm traveling right now.. as a consultant/coach for a potential 2012 Olympic team... no Olympic level vaulters right now.. but i have athletes in the sprints, hurdles, jumps, decathlon and relays that should all make it.. several will be in the world champs next August in Berlin.

the 20/20's are a "quick" feet exercise.. 20 steps in 20 meters... some people call them high knees but i like to call it a "piston" action and not to emphasize the "high knee" part... sometimes the high knees will cause you to sit back to much in your technique...

take care

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:20 am

Give Jenn S. a 20 step approach and she will jump a world record. I know how to do that and will try and post some more of the details later…

Sorry i made this post… this part anyway....

I know how to do that and will try and post some more of the details later…

Rick will get her where she needs to be…...

she was handling the 18 steps well........

i just looked at a video of her on you tube where she broke the pole... i noticed they had here steps on the runway so they can get some very finite feed back.. good stuff..

also in my opinion the pole broke because it had hit the standard to hard right at that spot.... I’m sure if you put the broken pole in the box and “lean” it to the standard, the break occurred at a peg or standard “corner”…. Just a thought…

later

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”