Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Is 18ft vault possible for women

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 61

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:42 pm

USMC Vaulter wrote:Did anyone else notice the following two things

Agapit wrote: Toby Stevenson cleared 6m like that compensating to achieve higher grip. I must say that in the long run, thinking about 6.40, this could be an excessive action that would prevent energy maximization.

and
[quote="Agapit"]Look at the American Record Holder Scott Huffman and his Famous “Huffman Rollâ€Â

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:48 pm

Erica wrote:If you look at #3 under common passive phases, it talks about "vertical" a little bit, but may not be very clear on why it is not desirable to attempt to do this. When a vaulter slows their forward and upward momentum in order to "get back" or "drop to the shoulders" they have a passive phase in which they must then wait for the pole to lift them while they are in that "vertical" position.

If more focus is put on generating speed and power at the takeoff with the correct angle, and contunuing and maintaining that speed through the entire vault, there will be much more upward progress and continuation of that progess, resulting in a higher vault. Many elite vaulters can make it look like they are getting completely vertical, but this is the result of the angle and the momentum generated at takeoff and continued through the swing. It is not because of an attemp to get upsidedown. Like the article mentioned, there are elite vaulters that obviously don't get upside down, and it does not limit them. Look at video of Markov and Feofanova.

So basically, try to generate as much momentum as possible so that when you swing your feet are higher in the air with more momentum behind you, instead of trying to get to your back and wait to be lifted.

If you ever vaulted on a rigid pole you would understand that you cannot wait for pole to lift you. There is nothing there to lift you. On the rigid pole you would never get perfectly inverted. So, why the fiberglass is different?
agapit.
Last edited by agapit on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:49 pm

agapit wrote:
Erica wrote:If you look at #3 under common passive phases, it talks about "vertical" a little bit, but may not be very clear on why it is not desirable to attempt to do this. When a vaulter slows their forward and upward momentum in order to "get back" or "drop to the shoulders" they have a passive phase in which they must then wait for the pole to lift them while they are in that "vertical" position.

If more focus is put on generating speed and power at the takeoff with the correct angle, and contunuing and maintaining that speed through the entire vault, there will be much more upward progress and continuation of that progess, resulting in a higher vault. Many elite vaulters can make it look like they are getting completely vertical, but this is the result of the angle and the momentum generated at takeoff and continued through the swing. It is not because of an attemp to get upsidedown. Like the article mentioned, there are elite vaulters that obviously don't get upside down, and it does not limit them. Look at video of Markov and Feofanova.

So basically, try to generate as much momentum as possible so that when you swing your feet are higher in the air with more momentum behind you, instead of trying to get to your back and wait to be lifted.

If you ever vaulted on a rigid pole you would understand that you cannot wait for pole to lift you. There is nothing there to lift you. On the rigid pole you would never get perfectly inverted. So, why the fiberglass is different?
agapit

Markov is a good vaulter. But you cannot tell me that Markov can vault 6.40. Well many professional would sware to you that Bubka could.
agapit

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:07 pm

wacky274 wrote:I am very interested in hearing more about this, where can I find more information?

more will be coming soon
agapit

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:11 pm

I think you are right. The elite vaulters do not try to get back "vertical" instead they try to get quicker over the higher bar, if that makes sence to you.
agapit

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:49 pm

Agapit, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Part of buying into a philosophy though is knowing the credibility of the author. Who are you, where are you from, who do you know, how do you know all of this information?

Staying anonymous lends no credibility to your manifesto.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

agapit
PV Follower

TX vaulters

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:21 pm

lonestar wrote:Agapit, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Part of buying into a philosophy though is knowing the credibility of the author. Who are you, where are you from, who do you know, how do you know all of this information?

I love TX vaulters.

agapit

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

manifesto

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:22 pm

I discerne a Ukrainian accent in your writings agapit!! Am I correct??

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Re: manifesto

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:09 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:I discerne a Ukrainian accent in your writings agapit!! Am I correct??
Last edited by mcminkz05 on Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What have you done today to get better?

agapit
PV Follower

The greatest 6.11

Unread postby agapit » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 pm

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:20 am

lonestar wrote:Agapit, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Part of buying into a philosophy though is knowing the credibility of the author. Who are you, where are you from, who do you know, how do you know all of this information?

My guess is Roman Botcharnikov.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:09 am

achtungpv wrote:

My guess is Roman Botcharnikov.

That was my guess also.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”