at regionals...

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
vballswimvault
PV Wannabe

at regionals...

Unread postby vballswimvault » Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 am

pole height: 12'
gripping at 11'
vaulting 10'
so, vaulting a foot under where youre gripping... decent or not?

possibly could of went higher but we didnt have a 140, only a 135 and i was apparently crushing that. not on my 10' jump but only on my 10'4'' one--perhaps a sudden adrenaline boost. that ever happen to anyone in the mid of the meet? eh its prolly just me.

pretty excited for states though =]

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun May 20, 2007 11:29 am

thats not too bad, considering the box goes down 8 inches, so your grip with standards is just a little higher than that the bar. Probably just keep swinging harder.

As for the adrenaline rush, it happens to everyone. Thats one of the hardest things in pole vaulting is to focus your energy into making your jump consistent and not get thrown off just because you are syked more for one bar more than another.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:21 pm

Vaulting a foot under what your gripping at that height is okay... If you think of where your step is and where the bar is, and then find how much area you have to move in, and the distance between your step and the bar.... you need to get up side down very quickly... if you have a 13' step and jumping after 17 feet, you have much more time to vault.... with a small step and low bar... Its okay to be vaulting there...

HOWEVER if your vaulting 16feet holding 17..... I don’t know... but I have read that you might be an inefficient vaulter.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”