need some advice

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
RBvaulter17
PV Beginner

need some advice

Unread postby RBvaulter17 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:17 pm

OK SO LIKE I HAVE VAULTING FOR OVER A YEAR AT MY SKOOL AND I HAVE A PRETTY DECENT PLANT AND MY ARMS ARE LIKE PERFECT AS MY CHOACH WOULD SAY, BUT THAT NOT THE POINT....ANYWAYS WHEN I LEVAE THE GROUND I TEND TO START OF WITH A GOOD STRAIT TRAIL LEG BUT THE NEXT THING I NO IT ITS GET TUCKED. SO MY SWING HAS GOTEN BETTER BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYADICE ON HOW TO KEEP THAT TRAIL LEG FROM NOT TUCKING??????

I TRY TO NOT TUCK IT BUT ALMOST EVERY VAULT I DO...ITS KINDA ANNOING

SOO CAN SOMEONE GIVE MY AND POINTERS????
TAKE LIFE BY THE POLE!!!!!

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:31 pm

theres nothing wrong with tucking
pain is only temporary victory is forever

RBvaulter17
PV Beginner

Unread postby RBvaulter17 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:36 pm

YES THERE IS MY CHOACH SAYS IT TAKES SOME OF UR SWING AWAY
TAKE LIFE BY THE POLE!!!!!

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:22 pm

the american record holder jeff hartwig does it so it cant be that big of a problem if he can still jump 6 meters while doing it

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:24 pm

Well, I learned to keep my trail leg straight after take off just by... keeping it straight lol. I mean, before people told me to "try and keep the trail leg back", but I couldn't do it when they told me that. Then I just tried keeping it straight and extending it, and I got a better swing.

It sorta seems that on the forum, tucking is condemned, but I'm starting to wonder what are the benefits of tucking? Suppose someone can't get his feet up in time to invert and take advantage of the recoiling pole, should he try to adopt a tuck and shoot method?

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:32 pm

sooch90 wrote:Well, I learned to keep my trail leg straight after take off just by... keeping it straight lol. I mean, before people told me to "try and keep the trail leg back", but I couldn't do it when they told me that. Then I just tried keeping it straight and extending it, and I got a better swing.

It sorta seems that on the forum, tucking is condemned, but I'm starting to wonder what are the benefits of tucking? Suppose someone can't get his feet up in time to invert and take advantage of the recoiling pole, should he try to adopt a tuck and shoot method?

all it is is timing....if you keep your trail leg to parralel thats as far as you need it to go to keep enough pressure on the pole....after that it doesnt matter its jjust a personal choice on how it feels or which one is easier

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:44 pm

i tuck my leg and i think it gives me more of an advantage because it feels like i have more explosion when i get inverted and push off the top of the pole
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:26 pm

nitro wrote:
sooch90 wrote:Well, I learned to keep my trail leg straight after take off just by... keeping it straight lol. I mean, before people told me to "try and keep the trail leg back", but I couldn't do it when they told me that. Then I just tried keeping it straight and extending it, and I got a better swing.

all it is is timing....if you keep your trail leg to parralel thats as far as you need it to go to keep enough pressure on the pole....after that it doesnt matter its jjust a personal choice on how it feels or which one is easier

Parrallel to what? The runway? the pole?

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 pm

RBvaulter17 wrote:YES THERE IS MY CHOACH SAYS IT TAKES SOME OF UR SWING AWAY

If you go to Rancho Bernado High School, listen to your coach (Tom Martin?) he is an excellent coach.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:21 pm

sooch90 wrote:Parrallel to what? The runway? the pole?

runway....if u really wanna see it just slow down jeff hartwigs jump and look when he tucks his

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”