stuck in a slump

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
newbievaulter
PV Beginner

stuck in a slump

Unread postby newbievaulter » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:43 am

this year im jumping like crap and i just feel liek im not gonna get any better. it just feels like ill be stuck at 12ft forever. i no height is not everything at my stage, but im not showing any improves in technique either. anyone else go through this?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:28 am

My advice work on yor run efficiency first, and plant next. Those two things are so important! dont worry about your turnup except on stiff poles. Also work on your SPEED and strength. Start over from stiff poles work on your run and takeoff and gradually move back. Alot of guys want to get back and get on big pole, my advice is to build up to it.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:25 am

Every vaulter I have coached has went thru what might be called a "slump". There are 2 kinds from my experience- the guy who jumps 14' one week and can't make 12' the next or the the guy who just seems to hit a plateau and can't improve. Standing back at the end of the runway day after day with a big pole isn't likely to cure either. Like Kyle said start over again,do more sprint training, swing on rope or bars,when you jump go short run 2-4 -6 steps even if its straight pole and try to improve at each your PR for each run. Try this for 3-4 weeks then move it back to a long run/big pole .

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:14 am

The worse thing you can do is to start eating away at your confidence this early in the season. Well thats what i keep telling myself.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”