choosing a pole thats right for you

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
tmcalan
PV Newbie

choosing a pole thats right for you

Unread postby tmcalan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:20 pm

hi, im new to the forum and have many questions i have been vaulting since i was a freshman, curently a junior my PR for indoor is 12ft. i am very close to 12 6 and would like to clear 13 at my state qualifier meet. i curently jump on a 13'6'' 140 cata pole i am not sure of the flex rating. my hand grip is at a bout 13'. i have a 14'0'' 150 ucs spirit that i can try and jump on. i am having trouble jumping over my top hand. any pointers on if i should get a new pole, move to the pole available to me or how to get above my top hand? any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
13'6'' PR Senior year in High School!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: choosing a pole thats right for you

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:30 pm

There's simply not enough information... Video is always best for a question like this.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:08 am

tmcalan wrote: ... i am having trouble jumping over my top hand. any pointers on if i should get a new pole, move to the pole available to me or how to get above my top hand?

It's interesting that of your 3 questions, the last one you asked is the most important. Maybe you realize the importance of improving your technique, but you devoted the least amount of ink to that in your post. :confused:

Too many young vaulters assume that moving up to a heavier pole is a silver bullet.

As if it's the POLE that gives you the PR, rather than the TECHNIQUE, SPEED, and GRIP that give you a heavier pole ... which in turn gives you a PR!

The 4 main factors in determining the best pole for you at this point in your PV careeer are:

1. Technique
2. Grip
3. Strength
4. Speed
5. Body Weight
6. Body Height and Reach

The order I've listed these is from the EASIEST to improve to the HARDEST to improve.

Now, from bottom to top ...

6. You can't do much about your height except eat healthy foods, and once you learn to reach as high as you can reach when your plant, you're maxed out. However, your REACH affects your GRIP and your POLE FLEX, so it's mentioned here.

5. You could go on a diet, but other than that - especially if you're already slim and trim - there's only so much you can do about your body weight.

4. You can improve your speed, and you should do everything you can in your training to improve your speed. Speed generally refers to running speed, but can also include the speed at which you plant the pole, your speed in jumping on takeoff, and your swing speed.

There's something to be said about "sprinters are born, not made". Everyone has their own personal limits to how fast they can run or plant or jump or swing. But still, there's a lot you can do to improve your speed.

3. Strength is relatively easy to improve, compared to speed or body weight. It takes time, but given enough repetitions of enough weights (or preferably gymnastic movements), you WILL get stronger. "Natural strength" is not as common as "natural speed". Strong, supple bodies are made - not born ... mostly.

2. It's easy to improve your grip. Just grip higher and go for it! Haha! :D But for you to grip higher AND to be able to hang on, AND land safely, AND be able to maintain "proper" technique, then you can't just raise your grip willy-nilly. You can only raise it as you become faster and stronger, and as your technique improves.

1. Technique is the easiest to improve. That's because there's so many variables that no matter what you focus on to improve, there's plenty of room for improvement! Even Bubka's technique wasn't "perfect". He had a lot of flaws. So if a 20' vaulter has a lot of flaws, you can imagine how many an 18' vaulter (or 16' or 14' or 12' and so on) have!

So where does MOVING UP TO A HEAVIER POLE come into all this?

Well, take care of 1, 2, 3, and 4 - and make sure you're not overweight (#5), THEN and only THEN will moving up to a heavier pole pay dividends - increasing your PR. :idea:

It's your TECHNIQUE, GRIP, STRENGTH, and SPEED that dictates your optimal POLE FLEX - and ultimately your PR. :yes:

NOT the other way around!

Kirk

EDIT: Added #6.
Last edited by KirkB on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

tmcalan
PV Newbie

Unread postby tmcalan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:42 am

hey thanks for your help! its really apreciated. i am working on technique alot already and going to keep that as my main focus. i weigh about 130 right now but do not have to much muscle. last year i moved to the heavier poles becasue i had broke a ucs spirit 135 and had to learn on heavier poles. i will stay with the 140 right now. my standards are usualy in the mid 20s so i think thats pretty good. im having trouble with the extension though, i get up and verticle with the pole but when i turn i do not stay verticle and end up throwing the pole away when i am already over the cross bar. is it mostly strength to get good extension or will it come with a good swing? i have a link to a picture, although i missed the bar its a good example of what normally happens.

http://www.section6runs.com/2008-2009/2 ... 53_jpg.htm

im hopefully going to get some vidoe up within a week or two.

thanks for your help!

Tom

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:40 pm

tmcalan wrote: ... is it mostly strength to get good extension or will it come with a good swing?

It will come with a good swing. :yes:

Search for other posts with the keywords "muscle" and "swing".

You do need to be physically fit, with good core strength tho - especially abs. If you can do most gymnastic movements (geared to your age and experience) - floor ex, tramp, highbar, rings, rope - then you should be fit enough. But you can never be too fit! Gymnastics will not only improve your fitness level, it will also improve your swinging technique and your ability to manouver in the air.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm curious... Why do you think learning on 'heavier' poles is a bad thing? I'll often grab the biggest pole around for practice... and do 3 left approach runs! Stiff poling is essential in a training program!!!

tmcalan
PV Newbie

Unread postby tmcalan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm

learning on the heavier poles actually helped me alot because now i vault on poles way over my body weight and i really focused on technique not just going for height. it was very chalenging but brought lots of benefits

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 pm

Don't drop stiff poling from your training though. Find an iron pipe if you have to (or just move in closer). Bubka did them his entire career, and he turned out to be a pretty good vaulter. :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”