TERRIBLE blisters

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
The King
PV Newbie

TERRIBLE blisters

Unread postby The King » Mon May 17, 2004 10:21 pm

i think this is what they're called. big lumps on hands. dont feel good. scrape on pole. blood about once a month. help. i just heard i cant wear gloves and taping my hands makes my grip on the pole worse. sectionals are 2 days away and any kind of cheap or 5 minute tip would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Mon May 17, 2004 10:40 pm

OK. when your hand hurts and you are pole vaulting, just think what is the worst that can happen? the skin will rip right off your hand in a worst case scenario right. well if you hold on tight enough you should still be on the pole regardless of the amount of blood your hand lents. It's the truth, and its pole vaulting.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue May 18, 2004 12:46 am

definitely look into gettin this bandage tape stuff called mole skin, tho i havnt used it in a while. right now i use a liquid bandage from a bottle (not the stupid expensive band aid application stuff), it works like a charm, but if theres an open wound, you really get the privilege of feeling a very exquisite pain until it dries. make sure it dries all the way first, when applying it, flex and unflex hand to make sure it gets in all grooves...works good for me, and in practice use chalk to prevent friction...
Last edited by jhesch on Thu May 20, 2004 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Tue May 18, 2004 9:29 am

your hands are just sliding too much...even though they don't seem to be, they can move just centimeters without you realizing it. That used to be a problem with me, sort of. I had this one blister that would keep showing up, in fact, it didn't even get a chance to be a blister it would instantly just rip open. I always vaulted through it.

I finally fixed the sliding problem, I think it was because I was not jumping up enough...or something...it's been a while since that problem (my Junior year...2 1/2 years ago now?)

letsvault
PV Newbie

Unread postby letsvault » Thu May 20, 2004 8:17 pm

I always get callouses right between my ring and middle fingers. I was injured and hadn't jumped in awhile so when i came back to jump, they were soft and ripped open,.,so i know your pain :(

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Thu May 20, 2004 10:59 pm

try keeping ur hands maybe moisturized. dry hands tend to have blisters and ripped skin easily.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Thu May 20, 2004 11:57 pm

haha sorry but thats really funny. seems the last thing on most guys mind would be to keep their hands 'moisturized'...

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Fri May 21, 2004 9:18 pm

jhesch wrote:haha sorry but thats really funny. seems the last thing on most guys mind would be to keep their hands 'moisturized'...

;) ;) yea i know, and besides, some may rub powder on their hands to have a better grip on pole which will scrape the skin anywayz. all i say is when ever skin gets blistered or torn, put a band-aid and move on.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”