anyone take any supplements?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
newbievaulter
PV Beginner

anyone take any supplements?

Unread postby newbievaulter » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:47 am

im feeling weak sometimes, really hard to finish my workouts, and i was wondering if ther are any supplement pills or something liek that i can go buy at a gnc store.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:32 am

Do you eat properly and get enough sleep?

If you are sure you do, you might try a multivitamin, but I would not waste a lot of money on supplements. You could have mono or be anemic, so if you have problems for awhile go see a doctor. My teammate had mono and did not even know it! She couldn't figure out why she was sleeping so much...

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:15 am

#1 : GNC is over rated and way over priced (sorry if any of you work there)
#2: A good multi vitamin like Centrum + a Quart of milk a day is good stuff.
#3: Do what rainbowgirl said and check to see if you have mono. It's kind of common now days and you may never know you have it. A few of my friends have it right now. :yes:

:star: Get better soon! :star:

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Mono

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:03 pm

Yes...on the mono....Jodie was vaulting, doing gymnastics workouts, cheering and playing volleyball and had mono. She would come home and fall in bed. We thought it was because of all she was doing. Check for a big egg-shaped swollen gland on either side of your neck. They can tell with a blood test.

On the supplements, check to see what they are coated with. Some are actually coated with a substance like SHELLAC. They need to be a vegetable coating. They will not ever dissolve while going through your system. They have even found completely intact in septic tanks! You can even read the brand names still. Some people even have gotten what they at first thought were kidney stones, but later found out were vitamins that had not dissolved in their kidneys!
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:19 pm

if you've been vaulting as long as your screen name suggests (not long) it might just be getting in shape. i always have trouble finishing workouts when i start a new sport (namely cross country, and sometimes swimming). if thats the case, just get your rest and eat good, and you should be okay. otherwise, taking pills with stimulants (i.e. caffeine or ephedra, or illegally, speed) will give you energy for the workout but will drain you later in the day, and i highly recommend you don't take them. drugs with ephedra can also be very damaging to your body. overall, continue with good diet, rest, and if the problem persists, i suggest talking to a professional. (aka doctor, trainer, etc.)

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”