gymnastics or xc?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
pverrr
PV Beginner

gymnastics or xc?

Unread postby pverrr » Thu May 10, 2007 8:17 pm

hey every one. an idea popped into my head yesterday... i was thinking about which sport i should do in the fall that would be the most beneficial for helping me vault... gymnastics of cross country. i've never ran xc in my life and i previously did gymnastics last fall (im a sophomore). since im not really great at gymnastics, i was concidering leaving to try xc, but i know that gymnastics is great for the vault, but cross country would help my running out, too. any oppinions would be great. i need to make my mind up soon!

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu May 10, 2007 8:21 pm

gymnastics, xc isn't great for your speed!
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Thu May 10, 2007 10:13 pm

Yeah, xc wouldn't really do much. Gymnastics works wonders though. I've heard it from lots of people.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu May 10, 2007 10:32 pm

i love gymnastics, its alot harder than i seems, and works alot of muscle groups similar to polevault and can help either way.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Thu May 10, 2007 10:39 pm

I'd completely love to get into gymnastics. Unfortunately, money is a big problem.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:49 am

It kinds of depends on where your weaknesses are. Most people, gymnastics is going to be the better choice, but you have to know yourself.

For me, I did gymnastics my whole life, but I couldn't run at all. I started track my junior year, and doing cross country the fall of my senior year actually helped me quite a bit.

It also depends on the programs. Are you talking about a school gymnastics team that meets every day after school, or a once-a-week class class that is 90 minutes long? Is your cross country coach willing to give you a little less mileage and a little more speed/strength work, or will you have to do the same as everyone else?

pverrr
PV Beginner

Unread postby pverrr » Fri May 11, 2007 10:47 am

well I am already a gymnast. and i am talking about an after school team that meets every day. i think the solution to the problem is just that i am going to have to run outside of gymnastics. its really tough...

rlk11792
PV Beginner

Re: gymnastics or xc?

Unread postby rlk11792 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:18 pm

pverrr wrote:hey every one. an idea popped into my head yesterday... i was thinking about which sport i should do in the fall that would be the most beneficial for helping me vault... gymnastics of cross country. i've never ran xc in my life and i previously did gymnastics last fall (im a sophomore). since im not really great at gymnastics, i was concidering leaving to try xc, but i know that gymnastics is great for the vault, but cross country would help my running out, too. any oppinions would be great. i need to make my mind up soon!

Cross country won't really help your run that much. xc is good for endurance, but that's not one of your main concerns in vaulting...so I'd recommend gymnastics. I did gymnastics for about 5 years (stopped 3 or so years ago) and although I haven't done it in a few years, it really helps muscle groups in your body that you'll use in vaulting but in not many other activities, including xc. xc will do basically nothing for your arms...and without arm strength, you can pretty much forget vaulting.

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Fri May 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Yeah xc will make you able to vault over and over again and not get tired, but it won't do much for your stride, speed, and acrobatics.

Srrycowz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Srrycowz » Fri May 11, 2007 10:36 pm

gymnastics ; we have a girl thats a freshman and its her first year and shes going 9 because of it so do that

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Sat May 12, 2007 12:40 am

Sweet. By the time she becomes a senior she'll be clearing at least 11'0-12'0

Srrycowz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Srrycowz » Sat May 12, 2007 12:43 am

O we know Shes already going to state i think

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”