how much will i improve?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
efhspolevaulter91
PV Wannabe

how much will i improve?

Unread postby efhspolevaulter91 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:39 am

well i was a freshman last year, on a 10 ft. 6 in. pole, in practice my best vault was 11 ft. and during a meet it was 10 ft. i didnt have a coach last year, but this year we will have a coach, how much do you think i will improve in height?
kick to the sky

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:06 am

Are you a boy or a girl?

efhspolevaulter91
PV Wannabe

Unread postby efhspolevaulter91 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:33 am

boy, 5 ft 6 in. last year i was 108 and im 118 now, hopefully 125 by track season
kick to the sky

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:01 am

There is no possible way to answer this question, sorry
"If he dies, he dies"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:27 pm

how much do you want to improve?
How much do you want to work at it?

How much higher you jump is determined by how hard you work. You could get 10 feet this year, or work your butt off and literally the skys the limit.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:47 pm

I have seen many great improvements over a one year period, I consider myself to be one of those people. My advice would be to find the coaches no matter how far you have to travel to get coaching, and find a few because everyone has their strengths. Get in the gym, and find a workout partner. Study the sport as much as possible...watch as much film as you can!
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:14 pm

It will happen automatically if you want it bad enough, but eventually you will see more and more aspects of your life revolving around becoming better. I used to eat whatever i want, not practice hard, and only stiff pole 9'3. Then once i decided i was going to work hard, gradually i started doing more and more to improve... getting up at 5 for morning lifts 3 days a week. Eating right and managing when you eat. Getting excited for a workout... even if its purely running and you know you are gonna be in pain. Laying in bed and taking the covers off so you can practice inversions (maybe this one is just me :P). But anyways, when pole vaulting isnt just a sport, but a lifestyle, you will see improvements you dont even dream of yet, believe me. Take your inner goal this year, and if you make pole vaulting a lifestyle, add much, much more.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

efhspolevaulter91
PV Wannabe

Unread postby efhspolevaulter91 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:28 pm

alright thanks guys, last year the winning height for 3A state was 12 1/2 and my goal was to place this year, ill start to do inversions in the mornings :P ill try to make it my lifestyle and hopefully ill achieve my goal
kick to the sky

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:03 am

all i can say about this is that you need to work hard in all aspects of the vault. you cant just focus on technique you need to also focus on strength and speed as well if you can balence the three well you will have no problem jumping 12'. and again it all goes back to how much do you want it. if you are really truthful about wanting this then you will have no problem doing all of these thigs and enjoying them knowing that when you jump next you will be that much stronger and that much faster then before! also never give up or get frustrated that is the worst thing you can do
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:46 pm

I agree with the above, to improve the greatest you need to train in all areas of the vault.

Campy saying but it is true,

Train to vault, don’t vault to train....

Do your running work outs, do your lifts, and learn about the vault. If you keep on it, you will eventually get big bars, Last season indoor/outdoor I personally did not PR in a meet, doesn’t mean I didn’t get better, this year I have my head together and I’m jumping really well... So remember to be patient, improvements in the pole vault are not linear… Just because you improve by a foot one year means your going to do a foot ever year…

Work hard, work smart, and pole vault high

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”