Sit ups every day?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:20 pm

wat are some good ab workouts that i can do without like a stability ball or anything.. i have abs from just running and not eating alot and u can see it, but they are not very strong i think. i need to wrok on them. so ya thanx
i run, therefore im buff.

BrownVolvo
PV Beginner

Unread postby BrownVolvo » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:36 pm

well, you can lay on the floor and do leg lifts where you uh, well its self-explanatory.
Those help alot especially its a good workout to start with if you are not good with the bubkas.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:26 pm

Make sure to balance out your abs with you lower back......it is great having strong abs, but if you have a weak back along with the strong abs, problems will happen
Man Up and Jump

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:44 am

AVC Coach wrote:Bottom line in the pole vault..... If you can't swing upside-down on a high bar or rings without having to bend at the hips, YOU NEED MORE ab work. If you can't do this and you are reading this post, quit wasting good time and get to work.

Agree that you need to have strong abs and work them regularly.

Disagree in that they are what prevents you from swinging upside down without breaking at the hips. I think a hip break occurs as a compensatory action to pull the levers closer to the center of gravity and aid in rotation b/c of a lack of strength in the shoulder-girdle which is the pivot point in that action. I think that's more upper-back (lats, traps, and delts). I haven't trained in 2 years seriously, have a keg instead of a six pack, and can still get upside down on any apparatus w/o hip break b/c of my lats and traps.

Whatever you're doing with your kids though AVC, keep it up b/c you guys are kicking some serious a**!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:02 pm

Thanks Kris, your kids kick arsh too!

And good point about the upper back playing a role in inversion!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”