Teaching Newbies

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:22 pm

altius wrote:"But reading it yourself would definitely help."

Not sure if that comment means that you are very clever or just very dumb. Please advise. :idea: :yes:

Lol it just means its a good idea for any coach to gain as much information about the vault as possible. That includes BTB. That however doesnt mean every newbie vaulter should read it. First of all, he/she wouldnt get as much info out of it until he/she is a better vaulter. Second, if you turn newbie vaulters to a book, thats great if they are dedicated! But lets be honest, the majority of new vaulters do it to have fun and get away from the books they have to read in school.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:32 pm

The guy is 19 years old college student for goodness sake - obviously keen enough to try to get info from PVP! So why not get the basic info you need in one hit instead of trying to put together your understanding of a complex activity through a mishmash of questions -while getting some pretty dubious advice along the way. Its a lot more fun when you jump higher knowing what you are doing, than continually failing to get off the ground or knocking the bar off for reasons you do not understand.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:49 pm

"why not get the basic info you need in one hit instead of trying to put together your understanding of a complex activity through a mishmash of questions"

excellent point, books are a great source of learning, although i would argue that a book+ PVP+ hands on experience will teach you more than just a book. Many doctors may spend the first 3 years reading books, but it takes more than that for a degree in medicine. I will level with you and find some common ground though, BTB is a great book for aspiring coaches and pole vault enthusiasts alike. I only pray the learning doesnt stop there.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:27 pm

Vaulterboy...

I don't think that Altius is naive to the fact that using multiple resources for getting your information is a good way to do it... but I think his concern is as many coach's concerns are that the resources they use to get their info are credible, and BTB is one of the most credible sources out there, other than right from the mouth of Petrov... lets not try and pick apart everything everyone on this forum says :yes: :P
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:13 am

"although i would argue that a book+ PVP+ hands on experience will teach you more than just a book."

Clearly the lad is a genius! But I wonder if he has heard the old country saying, "Never try to teach Grandma how to suck eggs"?? :devil: ;)

RBvaulter17
PV Beginner

Unread postby RBvaulter17 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:17 pm

the most important thing in the vault is the row, nnobs like to pull at the top so have them do a whole bunch of grass vaults so they into the habit of rowing to their hip.

:)
TAKE LIFE BY THE POLE!!!!!

baggettpv
PV Master

This discussion...

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:52 pm

Alot of the basic learning progressions are in my book "Coaches Hip Pocket Guide to Pole Vaulting" We gave alot of them away at Reno this year. Anyone one else out there want one?

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

baggettpv@aol.com
Good coaching is good teaching.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:51 am

BethelPV wrote:Vaulterboy...

I don't think that Altius is naive to the fact that using multiple resources for getting your information is a good way to do it... but I think his concern is as many coach's concerns are that the resources they use to get their info are credible, and BTB is one of the most credible sources out there, other than right from the mouth of Petrov... lets not try and pick apart everything everyone on this forum says :yes: :P

I completely agree, no one on this site should pick apart everything everyone says on this forum. What this mini-debate comes down to is- should someone seeking knowledge in the vault learn from only one source, possibly limiting themselves in their knowledge BUT obtaining all correct knowledge- or open up their resources and possibly learn more, however be subject to SOME ideas that are not credible.

although anyone on this site is already opening themselves up to all different ideas, its up to them to decide whats credible and whats not.

And to altius, no sir i havent heard that country saying, and i would never try to teach grandma how to suck eggs. Im not sure of the metaphor there, and im not sure i want to know ;)

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:51 am

"Im not sure of the metaphor there," Keep thinking about it you will work it out -or ask granma!

The point is - how do you know how accurate and thus valuable a piece of information is, if you know nothing to start with?? So novices come to PVP and are offered information by a lot of folk - some with credibility and experience , some with zilch. Go back through the posts of the last few days and you will see what I mean - although it looks as though a few of the former group have stopped contributing. How can novice athletes and coaches tell the difference?

I am simply suggesting that they go to a source - BTB -which has been accepted as valid by a lot of people - many of whom would not mind if I named them - and so establish a base of understanding. Then armed with that they go off and teach/coach the event and come to PVP to expand their knowledge and raise issues that BTB has not dealt with to their satisfaction.

Note that my major area of professional competence is not in pole vaulting but in the preparation of sports educators - something I have been involved with for the past thirty five years - so i do have some understanding of the best ways to help people gain expertise in this field. :idea: :yes: :idea:

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:32 pm

I understand that and agree. I guess it shouldnt be assumed that vaulters come to PVP with a prior knowledge of vaulting. If they do have some knowledge or at least basic concept of vaulting, they can figure out whats credible and whats not on this site. Even on this very thread, you can tell how is credible and who is not. Not only by what they are saying but how they are saying it; in a way that would give some of them a 50 on the SAT writing section. :dazed:

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”