Swinging the trail leg faster

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:46 pm

anything you can do to recreate the motion of the swing. Crunches or upper-ab workouts arent the same thing as doing leg lifts which will target your lower abs and hip flexors. Doing leg lifts will build the muscles for swinging..... but like i said before you dont NEED more muscle in order to get vertical.... if you have the correct form. Keep your hands over your head and swing from there.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:58 am

Also, the ceiling in my basement is kinda low, so I can't keep my trail leg straight when I'm completely hanging.

Do you have a tree or rafter outside to hang the rope on? Or can you take the rope with you to a park and hang it on something so you can do your swing drills?

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:30 pm

AVC Coach wrote:
Also, the ceiling in my basement is kinda low, so I can't keep my trail leg straight when I'm completely hanging.

Do you have a tree or rafter outside to hang the rope on? Or can you take the rope with you to a park and hang it on something so you can do your swing drills?

Hmm I'll look into that. I do have some trees. They're not very big, but I think they're strong enough to hold me. Thanks for the advice

oakduck
PV Beginner

Rope Drill Video From the Alan Launder Camp in the Woodlands

Unread postby oakduck » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Below is a video of what Alan Launder, Author "From Beginner to Bubka" had vaulters doing during his camp in the Woodlands, Tx July 6,7,8, 2006.

http://www.polevaultworld.com/PVD_RopeJump7050.MPG

To see more drills done at this camp go to

http://www.polevaultworld.com/PVD_Launders.html

I learned a great deal form this camp and from what I am reading in this post these drills are an example of how to help work on your swing. :idea:

Oakduck

sooch90
PV Pro

Re: Rope Drill Video From the Alan Launder Camp in the Woodl

Unread postby sooch90 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:30 pm

oakduck wrote:Below is a video of what Alan Launder, Author "From Beginner to Bubka" had vaulters doing during his camp in the Woodlands, Tx July 6,7,8, 2006.

http://www.polevaultworld.com/PVD_RopeJump7050.MPG

To see more drills done at this camp go to

http://www.polevaultworld.com/PVD_Launders.html

I learned a great deal form this camp and from what I am reading in this post these drills are an example of how to help work on your swing. :idea:

Oakduck

Ah those drills look very helpful. Thanks!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 pm

Its just important that before you try that drill you know exactly what it should look like, so you can self-correct yourself.... otherwise you will form bad habits. Try to just hanging from the rope.... and doing the swing just stationary before you go for the run into it.

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:37 pm

I like to think I have a decent trail leg, or at least that's what I've been told. Some of the drills that I've used that I think could help are the rope swing like Mr. Launder showed in the video, swinging in place on the rings, and swinging on a moving ring. Also, a good drill for building elasticity and a good whip would be just drilling a soccer ball into a net. You may have to develop some coordination if you aren't used to kicking hard with that foot, but if you can get your toe pointed and really whip your leg through the ball, you will notice an immense difference in your swing....of course, it always helps to be a soccer player. ;)

Here's the ring drill we use...it's not the best drill for all aspects of the vault but I think it certainly helps with the swing.
http://media.putfile.com/andrew-ring-drill-55

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:02 pm

rings, help. getting inverted. when i started i only swong a little. by the end of indoor, i could get inverted in one swing, but it took a lot of work.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Cooleo111 wrote:I like to think I have a decent trail leg, or at least that's what I've been told. Some of the drills that I've used that I think could help are the rope swing like Mr. Launder showed in the video, swinging in place on the rings, and swinging on a moving ring. Also, a good drill for building elasticity and a good whip would be just drilling a soccer ball into a net. You may have to develop some coordination if you aren't used to kicking hard with that foot, but if you can get your toe pointed and really whip your leg through the ball, you will notice an immense difference in your swing....of course, it always helps to be a soccer player. ;)

Here's the ring drill we use...it's not the best drill for all aspects of the vault but I think it certainly helps with the swing.
http://media.putfile.com/andrew-ring-drill-55
ahhh 2 things tho... thats an awesome drill buttt.....
DONT LAND ON YOUR FEET!!
i just got over a 4 week sprain from landing on my feet.
Dont tuck and shoot, keep that trail leg straight when you turn.

Also you might find it easier if you attach a rope rather than a ring... to simulate the grip width. But yea, i love that drill, haha rope vaults are awesome!!

sooch90
PV Pro

Unread postby sooch90 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:23 pm

I decided to revive this old thread with yet, another question!

In order to improve my swing, and stop flagging out, should I get on a smaller pole (maybe like 12' 150), run from like a 4 or 3 step, and may be use a bungee to get myself to stop flagging out?

Of course this is not a new idea, but I wanted to hear some of your thoughts of ways to improve the swing/invert, and whether this idea would be helpful?

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:43 am

With a softer pole, you will be able to feel if you are adding more or less energy by doing something different. its a good idea, and you can literally judge how well you use your energy by how deep you can get into the pit. Just remember, you jump tall, and stretch all the muscles from your top hand, across your body, down to your trail leg, and all and once use that tension to swing. go for it!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”