Random Thought from my Training Log

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Random Thought from my Training Log

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:49 am

So i keep a daily training log.. where i write things to review later such as technical numbers, ques, how i felt, stuff like that. anyway, i had an interesting series i wrote down.. thought i would share for maybe the benefit of others

Frustration seems to be getting the best of me again. I work so hard to make changes and i just can't seem to get myself to do even the simplest things right sometimes. Sitting around chatting with Jeremy joking about why we do this to ourselves. Trying to remember the last times pole vaulting felt fun. We talked about all the other things we could be doing. Working, making money, goofing off, eating whatever we felt. I kept just thinking why am I doing this. 1300 miles away from my family, 1000 miles from most of my friends. Why be here if i'm not going to enjoy it. I know I'll learn from it either way, but the fact is I mostly likely will never be a millionaire from pole vaulting. So I better have a reason.

After I finished my workouts for the day, Daniel Ryland and I sat around talking for a bit before playing around on the climbing wall, which is something I purely enjoy. Something about the difficulty of doing things you have failed over and over. Finding new ways around the same problems. And eventually you do suceed. Suddenly I had a realization. Pole vaulting is problem solving too. Theres no def answers to a problem. You have to try different things and sometimes youll fail. But reguardless, you have to enjoy finding the answers. Not all answers will come easy, not all problems can be fixed in one or two jump sessions. But today I challenge myself to enjoy the problem solving, and see what happens....
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

GWU Vaulter
PV Fan

Re: Random Thought from my Training Log

Unread postby GWU Vaulter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 pm

That was some deep stuff right there!!!
"Anything less than your best is to sacrfice the gift"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”