eyes during plant

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vaulthigh
PV Newbie

eyes during plant

Unread postby vaulthigh » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:36 pm

Where should your head and eyes be during plant?

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:33 pm

From my experience, not on the box. My coach wants me looking toward the bar as the pole strikes. I have a tendency to tuck in my chin, and then I suck my feet up into a pike instead of sweeping the trail leg through. I end up blowing through the bar without getting inverted unless I'm looking above level at the plant.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:44 pm

I was taught to look at or just over the horizon. so, not up and not down. basically straight ahead (although, in actual jumping, i still look at the plant box if i'm not concentrating on not doing that...)

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:08 pm

Look up and see your bottom hand.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:06 pm

I usually look up and make my bottom hand come into my sight... then as i swing i try to bring my swing into my sight as quickly as possible. You just want to look up and out because your chest and body will follow.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Bottom Hand

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:17 pm

Barto hit the bulls eye!!

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:59 pm

I think looking up during the plant makes me begin my inversion prematurely. Looking up during the plant inadvertantly throws my head back. I keep my eyes on the box (sometimes my chin tucked) until I whip my trail leg through. I feel that if I focus more on running/jumping through the plant, I get a better take-off with my chin tucked.

I've experimented the last several weeks on where my eyes should be during my inversion on bubka drills, such as whether to look at my hands, look at my feet, etc. Still trying to put together what works for me best on the runway. We'll see what happens.

My 2 pennies anyways...
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:10 pm

when i was at earl bells camp he said to watch the box to make sure your planting in it then look at the bar in the air to keep track of were youare, that way you dont lose your place in the jump and fall in the box or something. i personaly can't look at the box because it freaks me out and i think my steps are off, it used to make me stop but now i just keep running and my steps are fine but ya i guess its just a personal preference. wat the other guys said about looking at your hand makes a lot of sense to so i guess its w/e your prefernece is long as you get over the bar.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:13 pm

Only two points. 1. In virtually every movement we make you look where you are going! The head and eyes provide the initial clues to any movement - that is why the head fake in basketball is so effective. 2. You want to make sure you do not destroy the strong body position you must aim for at take off.

So looking just above the bottom hand is about right as a guide for most folk because it is about in line with there you are going to go - assuming the grip is properly spaced and assuming the top hand is above the head.

Re Looking at the box - it is unlikely to jump up and slither away from where it is sunk into the ground - so why look at it? You know where it is and your run should take you into the right spot to take off - and if you get to take off and you are miles out - looking at the box isnt going to help you much anyway! And if you are in the right spot looking at the box may well destroy your take off.

Alex Parnov - a coach whose name will increasingly come into the consciousness of PVP readers - suggested that at take off you should 'just be able' to see the top hand without looking for it. Just a thought. :yes:

Sorry to complicate things GeorgeN - but all these 'little' things' can make a difference.

;) ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:38 pm

altius wrote:Alex Parnov - a coach whose name will increasingly come into the consciousness of PVP readers - suggested that at take off you should 'just be able' to see the top hand without looking for it. Just a thought. :yes:

Any relation to Vicky Parnov?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:55 am

SKOT wrote:
altius wrote:Alex Parnov - a coach whose name will increasingly come into the consciousness of PVP readers - suggested that at take off you should 'just be able' to see the top hand without looking for it. Just a thought. :yes:

Any relation to Vicky Parnov?

Her dad!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:56 am

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:I think looking up during the plant makes me begin my inversion prematurely. Looking up during the plant inadvertantly throws my head back. I keep my eyes on the box (sometimes my chin tucked) until I whip my trail leg through. I feel that if I focus more on running/jumping through the plant, I get a better take-off with my chin tucked.

I've experimented the last several weeks on where my eyes should be during my inversion on bubka drills, such as whether to look at my hands, look at my feet, etc. Still trying to put together what works for me best on the runway. We'll see what happens.

My 2 pennies anyways...

I had a teammate who also did better when looking down. When he looked up he ysnked in with his bottom arm and did all kinds of crazy stuff.

I would never teach a kid to do that, but I think there are going to be exceptions to every rule. I agree with Barto that the bottom hand is a good visual cue.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”