Here's one to peruse, why not a longer pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:33 am

What a wild discussion. I won't offer any opinions about pole lengths or grip heights but I will suggest the following. There is no way to get more energy out of a mechanical system than is put in. There will always be losses in a mechanical system. (If there weren't losses, the world would be full of perpetual motion machines.) The vaulter's goal is to provide as much energy as possible by getting his/her mass going as fast as he/she can and then to position his/her body so as to minimize the loss of some of that energy due to friction, angle of force application and mechanical alignment to the pole.

Just my 2 cents worth.

- master

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:39 am

Barto wrote:As for energy input into the system after takeoff....

We know from force plate readings that even elite vaulters are not adding significant amounts of energy into the system from their takeoffs.

I would respectfully disagree with this statement.

What do you mean significant? Is energy that allows to lift Center of Gravity extra 6â€Â
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:48 am

skola28 wrote:Barto, I totally agree that many times extra effort put into the vault basically ends up wasting a lot of the stored energy already saved up...

One has to be trying very hard to waste stored energy in the pole, because the manifestation of this energy is simple recoil of the pole in the unit of time. I do not see how one can prevent a pole from recoiling.

By putting additional energy into the pole during the inversion one keeps the distance between grip and the box shorter for a longer time allowing for the higher grip or a stiffer pole to be used. Both are positive results.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:31 am

agapit wrote:
One has to be trying very hard to waste stored energy in the pole, because the manifestation of this energy is simple recoil of the pole in the unit of time. I do not see how one can prevent a pole from recoiling.

Obviously, you've never seen anyone practicing the Texas Lock n Block Model. While no has achieved their goal of stopping the recoil, they are definitely delaying it...

"When I lock and block, I try to hold it and count '1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi" before I rock back. Unfortunately, the best I ever got was '1 Mississippi...".
-Kyle Henderson, Karnes City HS '88 (17'1 1/2")
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:30 pm

Must of had a long left arm ;)
Just you wait...

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:24 pm

Just a thought...... What happens when a vaulter releases the pole midway through the vault? The pole recoils and shoots/shimmies into the air, right?

So if a vaulter could put together a "perfect" jump where no energy leaks out, would the pole shoot into the air as the vaulter releases at the top?

If so, the vaulter can't be pushing off or at least with any significant, advantageous force. If the pole stays in the box, he/she must be gaining some advantage by pushing off.

Just hoping someone could give me an answer on that so I won't lose any sleep.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:59 am

I think about the pole launching into the air like a rubber band. When the vaulter is running down the run way the rubber band is just lying there, no stretch. When the pole bends, the rubber band stretches. If a vaulter let go of the pole, during the middle, the pole flys away. As does the rubber band. If you have a rubber band stretched and then let go it will shoot. The pole is bent, and then recoils. It is like stretching a rubber band, and then letting it go back to its original state (not letting go of the rubber band.) So in order for a pole (rubberband) to launch or shoot. It has to release all force during the "bent" state.

Does that make sense?
Just you wait...

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:01 am

it might to others, but im sure not following that logic...

PaulVaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby PaulVaulter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:00 am

AVC coach

If the pole shoots up out of the box, you have wasted energy. There are two ways this can happen:

1)you release the pole too early so it still has stored energy, this would allow it to straighten further and cause a jumping motion, you therefore havent extracted all the energy you can from the pole.

2)you release the pole too late and begin to carry it up towards the bar with you, from the conservation of momentum you would then be travelling slower so wouldnt get as much of a push off.

Either way, the pole jumping up out of the box is not a good sign.

Paul
Aim high, then at least if you miss you won't shoot yourself in the foot.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:57 am

Okay, umm... the chance that a pole will shoot up the way you want is unlikely. How is that?
Just you wait...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:09 am

You guys are totally missing the point of Morry's question.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks Becca.

I know it's a hypothetical question, and a "perfect" vault could only occur theoretically.

Paul almost answered the question for me when he stated that "if the pole comes out of the box, then there is waisted energy". Does that mean that the most efficient thing to do at the end of the vault is to push off?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”