HELP girl pole vaulter pleasee!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

polevaulter123
PV Newbie

HELP girl pole vaulter pleasee!

Unread postby polevaulter123 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:15 pm

I am a sophomore in high school and saw pole vaulting last year and decided to try it! I am also a cheerleader and volleyball player. I've been training for about 3 days now and i dont have as much upper arm strength as I thought I did. (I used a 110 lb. pole & 150 lb. I weigh about 135 and 5'7.)&& That is preventing me from pulling up on the pole and fall. Another problem i have is that only my right leg follows through and not my left! I have 2 excellent pole vaulters right now helping me my body i guess isn't cooperating! I come home and try to do push ups but my abs & legs are in so much pain i can barely walk! ANY HELP WOULD BE APPERECIATEDD!

justaguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby justaguy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:51 am

I have tried pole vaulting not so often. So perhaps you better wait for someone else to reply. But as far as I understand your problem you just dont have the strength in your arms to pull yourself up.
If you use a 150 lb pole I hope in bends at least a bit. Perhaps if you wait long enough you are catapulted up in the air by the pole and you dont need the have the whole strength in your upper arms.
Nevertheless its a good idea practising the push ups.
This is no signature.

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:12 pm

Keep doing as much core strength training as possible. Push through a little pain and eventually your body will adapt.

Also, do not ever pull. You push through the tip by keeping your top arm straight throughout your jump. ;)
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:53 pm

If you are in your 3rd day of vaulting, an experienced coach will have you doing more running with a pole and pole walks than any jumping! The faster and more controlled, powerful your run can be, the easier you will get in the pit. Thats basically lesson #1 when you start vaulting. Make sure you have someone teach you the correct way to run and plant the pole, and until your run is very consistent i wouldnt worry too much about even bending a pole. thats pretty dangerous early in pole vaulting until you can control a run and pop up pretty well. Welcome to vaulting, its a ton of fun, stick with it and have fun! later
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

polevaulter123
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaulter123 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:26 pm

ok! thanks to everybody! i think i got what i needed* anybody have any ideas with weights for upper body strength? besides curl ups && bench presses? thanksss**

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

strength

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:40 pm

Do lots and lots of 2 step (not lefts) pole climbs!! LOTS!

RBvaulter17
PV Beginner

Unread postby RBvaulter17 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:58 pm

YA U DEFINATLY NEED TO RUN FAST WHEN U VAULT SO TRY TO FIND A VERY STEP HILL AND GET UT POLE AND RUN ALL THE WAY, BUT WHEN U VAULT U SHOULD TRY TO USE SMALLER POLE SO LIKE THE 11O IS GOOD 4 NOE NOT THE 150. SO KEEP ON RUNING AND WORKING OUT, GO TO THE GYM DO SOME WIGHTS, IF U KEEP ON DOING HUN UR IMPROVE. AND IF UR HAVING A PROBLEM GETTING TO THE POLE (SWING) TRY TO MOVE THOSE ARMS FORWARD (FROM ADOVE UR HEAD TO UR HIP) TRUSTT ME IT HELP....LOL

SO HOPE THIS HELPS IF NOT MESSAGE ME FOR MORE TIPS.... :)
TAKE LIFE BY THE POLE!!!!!

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:32 am

Not a smart idea to do hill runs with a pole! Yes you do need speed, but being safe is more important, and that is a dumb idea...

Work on short approach, straight pole drills that force you to reach as high as you can at take-off and help you to get a sense of jumping off the ground! That will be the biggest help for a beginner, along with doing pole runs just to get used to carrying a pole in your hands and becoming consistent in your run!!

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:40 am

I definitely understand what some of you on this site mean when you say inexperience can lead to bad or unhelpful advice when you try to post to help someone with their form on this site! Listen to the people who present their coaching tips in the most organized and easily understood way... they are generally the ones who know what they are doing.

RBvaulter17
PV Beginner

Unread postby RBvaulter17 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:17 pm

AON THE HILLS AND THE POLE JUST USED TRAINER POLES IF UR SKOOL HAS ANY

:)
TAKE LIFE BY THE POLE!!!!!

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:02 pm

The type of pole should be the last thing she should be worried about. I personally do not believe in trainers especially for beginners. She or a beginner needs to learn to vault by stiff poleing. Working on run, plant and takeoff position and timing before ever trying to bend the pole ,which I believe is the purpose for a trainer. Start from 2 steps away from box holding at standing grip and work out. If you want some more info on how this is performed PM me.
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

No offense RBvaulter, but do you take the short bus to school by any chance? Advice like that gets people nowhere fast and possibly hurt.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”