Pole Problems!!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

sphs_pole_vaulter
PV Newbie

Pole Problems!!

Unread postby sphs_pole_vaulter » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:26 pm

Can anyone out there help me? My coach told me its illegal to use a pole under your weight but the thing is.....I dont know my weight! :( Ive been using a 130 lbs pole, lenght?, but now my coach wants me to use a 140 lbs, lenght?, and i have a meet tomorrow?!?!?! wut can i do? it doesnt feel the same and i cant get the feel of it. With the 130 i was clearing 8' but now i dont know if i can make it that high with this new pole. Anyone have any advice for me?

multicard18
PV Fan

Unread postby multicard18 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:38 pm

for one....find out your weight and jump on a scale. Second......at most high school meets they dont weigh you but only ask "How much do you weight?" and if you can give a straight answer no one will ever say anything. However, you should keep trying to get on bigger poles in order to jump higher. But i dont think it will hurt if you jump on your 130 lbs. pole for a little while longer.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pole Problems!!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:22 pm

sphs_pole_vaulter wrote:Can anyone out there help me? My coach told me its illegal to use a pole under your weight but the thing is.....I dont know my weight! :( Ive been using a 130 lbs pole, lenght?, but now my coach wants me to use a 140 lbs, lenght?, and i have a meet tomorrow?!?!?! wut can i do? it doesnt feel the same and i cant get the feel of it. With the 130 i was clearing 8' but now i dont know if i can make it that high with this new pole. Anyone have any advice for me?

Make sure you are not raising your grip when you go to the other pole. Put the bottoms of the poles next to each other and move your grip straight across.

RBvaulter17
PV Beginner

Unread postby RBvaulter17 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:51 pm

it kinda all depends on ur speed and if ur blowing threw, and ue weight as well
TAKE LIFE BY THE POLE!!!!!

trackalete90
PV Newbie

Unread postby trackalete90 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:20 pm

I weigh 150lbs and i'm jumping on a 165lbs 13' pole and i think it might be too light still, you need to find a pole thats stiff enough so that it will return hard enough to throw you up, if you use a pole near or under you're weight, you'll just blow through it and won't get any "pop" out of it
Save a pole... ride a vaulter

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Use the search more often on here

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Use the search more often on here it is a really good search engine!!!
http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... highlight=

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”