Above your grip

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Maine Vaulter
PV Wannabe

Above your grip

Unread postby Maine Vaulter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:52 am

is there one perticular thing that helped you jump above your top grip? Im about 6" below it right now and want to get above it before I move to a bigger pole.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:33 pm

learn how to swing on a straight pole. 4 lefts or so, no bend. too many vaulters depend on the bend. its all about jumping up at take off, and generating good swing speed. which is best learned without all the complications of bending
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:54 pm

in fact it is easier to swing on no bend because when it does bend, you can swing easier but only until it starts recoiling, and by then if you arent in line with the pole you wont swing any farther. Like above, just practice swinging all the way back on a straight pole as fast as you can with a long straight trail leg. Another key point most people miss without a coach is that to be vertical you cant just swing your legs so they are straight with the pole, you need to get your hips directly above your shoulders. This usually means beings your legs PAST perpendicular with the ground when you swing.
In lamens terms, swing like you are doing a backflip, until your hips are above your shoulders, then start to straighten out with the pole.

Once everything is controlled in a pop up (straight pole drill) then go to a 4 step as said above, with a soft pole. Then you need to concentrate on MOVING the pole, as they say. But this is describing the motion after you are vertical with the pole, in which you move your hands up (or down, literally) toward your head, with as much pressure down the box as possible.
You technically need to get your top hand moving past your hips to jump over your hand hold, because when you turn your hips will be a little above your peak hieght.

This might seem really complicated, but watch any of these videos in slow motion and read each part of the vault i describe and it will really help you to understand. :yes: Thats how i learned

http://www.stabhochsprung.com/

any questions just ask, i love talking about this stuff!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”