good for a girl?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

pvtaz
PV Fan
Expertise: current high school vaulter, big track fan
Lifetime Best: 8'7"
Favorite Vaulter: my teammates

Unread postby pvtaz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:21 pm

I picked up pole vaulting in earnest this year as a sophomore. Cleared 7 feet first meet and can bungee the height required to earn a varsity letter (9 feet). My sports background was a goalie in field hockey/ lacrosse and a martial artist. I did gymnastics years ago as a little kid.
Don't eat the crossbar.
Plant in the box.

PPVgirl

Unread postby PPVgirl » Wed May 07, 2008 5:40 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:People cut poles all the time. It messes with the sailpiece and some other junk, but its great for straight-pole vaulting. 6ft is very good for a 7th grader, just keep working on fundamentals and try to find a good coach or club to jump with. A good coach is a key to success in high school, you won't usually find 11+ jumpers in HS without a good coach. Good luck!

ha my school has turned out atleast 4 guys(as in between this year and last) that clear 11+ with no coach that has a clue what they are talking about.

un poco loca saltar
PV Fan

Unread postby un poco loca saltar » Tue May 13, 2008 8:49 pm

PPVgirl wrote:
vault3rb0y wrote:People cut poles all the time. It messes with the sailpiece and some other junk, but its great for straight-pole vaulting. 6ft is very good for a 7th grader, just keep working on fundamentals and try to find a good coach or club to jump with. A good coach is a key to success in high school, you won't usually find 11+ jumpers in HS without a good coach. Good luck!

ha my school has turned out atleast 4 guys(as in between this year and last) that clear 11+ with no coach that has a clue what they are talking about.

I think she ment females. Males, and gymnasts, seem to have an automatic extra foot or two added to their vault.
it's annoying when you vault for three years and then a gymnast just decides to jump one day and they immediately start jumping better than you. anyone else ever noticce that?

as for getting girls interested, my coach normally goes to the gymnastics team (he doesnt seem to mind their advantage) and he incourages us to bring our younger siblings to off season practices.
Do just once what others say u can't do, and u will never pay attention to their limitations again.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”