New York vaulters driving to be the best

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

New York vaulters driving to be the best

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:19 pm

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20040427/1055894.asp

Driving to be the very best

By traveling to learn, six vaulters becoming champions

By MARY JO MONNIN
News Sports Reporter
4/27/2004

JAMES P. McCOY/Buffalo News
Coach Rich Suhr, center, and his talented pole vaulters, from left: Eden's Jim Swiech, Medina's Dan Tierney, Akron's Gary Sam, Iroquois' Tiffany Maskulinski, Lancaster's Mary Saxer and Medina's Janice Keppler.

Dan Tierney is a national champion and ranked fourth in the country.

CHURCHVILLE - The start of track practice for most high school athletes means a change of clothes and a short walk behind the school. Six Western New York pole vaulters travel a much greater distance.

It's an hour drive from Buffalo to reach their practice site, Rick Suhr's indoor pole-vaulting facility in Churchville, outside Rochester. For this dedicated group, the ride they make is worth the ride they're on.

Based on results at national meets and rankings in Track and Field News magazine, the best pole vaulters in the country aren't from Texas, Florida or South Carolina. They are in our backyard, or more accurately, Suhr's.

Eight years ago, Suhr (pronounced Sure) built the facility behind his home in Churchville. It's the only residential facility in the Northeast.

Dan Tierney and Janice Keppler of Medina, Tiffany Maskulinski of Iroquois, Mary Saxer of Lancaster, Gary Sam of Akron and Jim Swiech of Eden make the drive three days a week.

The 4,000-square foot facility sits at the end of a gravel road on Suhr's property. It is made of galvanized steel and has a 20-foot ceiling. Suhr's teaching style is uniquely his own, but it's based on a Russian style of free takeoffs. Suhr, already considered one of the top pole-vault instructors in the Northeast, is certain to enhance his reputation with this crop of athletes.

"I talked to a guy from Track and Field and he'd never heard of a city producing that many quality vaulters," Suhr said while supervising Sunday's workout. "It's a hotbed, beyond anything I've seen at the high school level."

Suhr is convinced the Section VI boys record of 15 feet, 2 inches, held by Chris Centrich of Hamburg, and the girls mark of 12 feet by Renee Evans of Alden, is "in for a beating."

Tierney is one of 12 athletes Suhr has handpicked to train. Tierney, who was jumping 10 feet a year ago, is a national champion today. At the National Scholastic Indoor Championships in March, Tierney cleared 15-101/2, winning the title and breaking the national record of 15-10. He's ranked fourth in the country by Track and Field.

Tierney has signed with Ashland (Ohio) University, considered one of the top five programs in the country in Division II.

"It's a little weird the first time you get yourself upside down. You just have to know that you're safe and trust your coach," said Tierney. "It gives you a little bit of a rush when you're going up, and it feels pretty good when you clear the bar."

Maskulinski is the No. 1-ranked junior. She went 13 feet during the indoor season, which stayed No. 1 for 11 weeks.

But Maskulinski said she's only "60 percent" after injuring her hamstring in March the week of the state indoor meet.

Saxer, who has a gymnastics background, is another success story. After just four months of training, Saxer cleared 12-51/4 to finish second at the national indoor meet. In Track and Field she's tied for seventh in the national rankings.

"It's pretty much all Rick," said Saxer. "He teaches you right off the bat all the correct form, and he helps you with adjustments."

Sam was state runner-up last year and won the gold at last summer's Empire State Games. He's gone 15-3 in practice. In his first meet last Tuesday he went as high as he needed (13-6) to break the Akron record.

Swiech came to Suhr as a 12-6 vaulter, and he's cleared 16-0 in workouts. He placed fifth at the indoor nationals and has signed with Roberts Wesleyan (NAIA).

Keppler has gone 12-1 in workouts and placed eighth at indoor nationals at 11-2.

"We've got a collection of pole vaulters that nowhere in the country no one can come near," said Suhr. "Usually, the best jumpers come from where the weather is good. Not anymore.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Re: New York vaulters driving to be the best

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:43 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20040427/1055894.asp

Driving to be the very best

By traveling to learn, six vaulters becoming champions

By MARY JO MONNIN
News Sports Reporter
4/27/2004

Coach Rich Suhr, center, and his talented pole vaulters, from left: Eden's Jim Swiech, Medina's Dan Tierney, Akron's Gary Sam, Iroquois' Tiffany Maskulinski, Lancaster's Mary Saxer and Medina's Janice Keppler.

Dan Tierney is a national champion and ranked fourth in the country.

CHURCHVILLE - The start of track practice for most high school athletes means a change of clothes and a short walk behind the school. Six Western New York pole vaulters travel a much greater distance.

It's an hour drive from Buffalo to reach their practice site, Rick Suhr's indoor pole-vaulting facility in Churchville, outside Rochester. For this dedicated group, the ride they make is worth the ride they're on.

Based on results at national meets and rankings in Track and Field News magazine, the best pole vaulters in the country aren't from Texas, Florida or South Carolina. They are in our backyard, or more accurately, Suhr's.

Eight years ago, Suhr (pronounced Sure) built the facility behind his home in Churchville. It's the only residential facility in the Northeast.

Dan Tierney and Janice Keppler of Medina, Tiffany Maskulinski of Iroquois, Mary Saxer of Lancaster, Gary Sam of Akron and Jim Swiech of Eden make the drive three days a week.

The 4,000-square foot facility sits at the end of a gravel road on Suhr's property. It is made of galvanized steel and has a 20-foot ceiling. Suhr's teaching style is uniquely his own, but it's based on a Russian style of free takeoffs. Suhr, already considered one of the top pole-vault instructors in the Northeast, is certain to enhance his reputation with this crop of athletes.

"I talked to a guy from Track and Field and he'd never heard of a city producing that many quality vaulters," Suhr said while supervising Sunday's workout. "It's a hotbed, beyond anything I've seen at the high school level."

Suhr is convinced the Section VI boys record of 15 feet, 2 inches, held by Chris Centrich of Hamburg, and the girls mark of 12 feet by Renee Evans of Alden, is "in for a beating."

Tierney is one of 12 athletes Suhr has handpicked to train. Tierney, who was jumping 10 feet a year ago, is a national champion today. At the National Scholastic Indoor Championships in March, Tierney cleared 15-101/2, winning the title and breaking the national record of 15-10. He's ranked fourth in the country by Track and Field.

Tierney has signed with Ashland (Ohio) University, considered one of the top five programs in the country in Division II.

"It's a little weird the first time you get yourself upside down. You just have to know that you're safe and trust your coach," said Tierney. "It gives you a little bit of a rush when you're going up, and it feels pretty good when you clear the bar."

Maskulinski is the No. 1-ranked junior. She went 13 feet during the indoor season, which stayed No. 1 for 11 weeks.

But Maskulinski said she's only "60 percent" after injuring her hamstring in March the week of the state indoor meet.

Saxer, who has a gymnastics background, is another success story. After just four months of training, Saxer cleared 12-51/4 to finish second at the national indoor meet. In Track and Field she's tied for seventh in the national rankings.

"It's pretty much all Rick," said Saxer. "He teaches you right off the bat all the correct form, and he helps you with adjustments."

Sam was state runner-up last year and won the gold at last summer's Empire State Games. He's gone 15-3 in practice. In his first meet last Tuesday he went as high as he needed (13-6) to break the Akron record.

Swiech came to Suhr as a 12-6 vaulter, and he's cleared 16-0 in workouts. He placed fifth at the indoor nationals and has signed with Roberts Wesleyan (NAIA).

Keppler has gone 12-1 in workouts and placed eighth at indoor nationals at 11-2.

"We've got a collection of pole vaulters that nowhere in the country no one can come near," said Suhr. "Usually, the best jumpers come from where the weather is good. Not anymore.

Ok im not ripping anyone in this but, this is alot of misinformation in this article. Dan tierny is not ranked 4th in the nation, Track and field news has him ranked around 10th. 16-6 is 4th...............

bess recignize

juss plizayin

HurlingHokie
PV Newbie

Unread postby HurlingHokie » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:52 am

For starters, the fact that Jenn Oneil and Robyn got stress fractures can not be blamed on Ricks training philosophies. Any athlete who trains hard at their event is open to injury, but when you add the regular HS training BS on top of that your body is going to break down even more. Ricks training philosophy is one of the best in the country and his technical model is improving atheletes faster than anyone has seen before. Less than a year ago Jenn Oneil was only an 8' vaulter, and now shes taking looks at 13'. If that is "improper training" then sign me up. Not to mention the surface these athletes are training on is a raised plywood runway. It is a very forgiving surface and reduces the pounding on the body sufficiently. I highly doubt the main reason for these injuries was training on this surface 3 days a week. Rick has also been doing more than ever to keep his athletes healthy, the program has change a lot since you left Pete, and you are going to see these guys and girls go VERY high, so keep you eye on them.

KvaultT
PV Newbie

Unread postby KvaultT » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:01 pm

Alright.
Also being a former Fairport High School polevaulter and a former Rick Suhr athlete, I have a different take on this situation.
First of all: Pete you enjoyed it when similar articles where published about. I remember one specifically stating you were going to be the next state champion. You thought it was the greatest thing in the world. The fact is that you were jumping well, and you got injured. I don't think pulling your hamstring on you first attempt at the state title indoors was Rick's fault. Improper training doesn't cause this to happen. We were well on your way to having that title, and you pulled a muscle. Things happen, get over it. It was not Rick's fault that after that injury you never recovered fully. Injuries like that take time to heal.
Hence why Jen O'Neil was not mentioned in the article. She pulled her hamstring and had some stress fractures. She is taking ample time to recover from her injury, so that she will be able to come back and jump over 13 feet. The reasons why she wasn't mentioned, is not because she isn't an amazing athlete, but because she is not jumping right now. I know you have hometown pride, but be realistic, if she were jumping you know she would be in the article. Calm down and think about what you are saying. Just because your brother is not at the top of the state, doesn't mean you have to tear apart Rick's athletes.
Rick's training is the best thing that ever happened to me. If I hadn't had surgery my senior year, I feel as though he could have made me jump high. I have you, Pete, to thank for introducing me Rick. Rick and his program have done a lot for you. You would not be polevaulting with T J Pierce right now if you didn't have Rick. You owe him a lot more respect than you give.
You know that his program is amazing, you have seen the results, as you are a part of those results, you have no place saying that it’s only an "ok" training program. Remember you were once a 9 foot vaulter, who was short and slow.
Just look at the athletes who are coming out of his building. That will tell you the truth.

raider12PV
PV Newbie

Unread postby raider12PV » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:27 pm

Well, well, well. First of all Katie should not be talking... Second of all, yes, Rick up to a certain point is good coach. There are some things that he teaches are wrong. Fact! When one of HIS athletes goes to another camp or learns something new that seems to work and makes him a better vaulter why should Rick discourage this to the point of not coaching them anymore? If any of you Rick deciples tell me that he is not one of the most egocentric and bully-ish coaches you're straight up lying. Thinking you are better than everyone else - and thinking he is better than all the other coaches and trash-talking them and their atheltes is flat out immature and wrong. You two (and all the other brainwashed kids) are biased in that you have only been with Rick - and you have not seen how everyone else thinks or how he is perceived. Part of being a good coach is identifying weaknesses and the ability to learn and progress (even in a coaching capacity - not in the sense of coaching athletes). He definitely lacks these qualities. And what irks me beyond the threshold is the fact that when robyn, jay, pete, or whitney, were in state's and came up short of winning the meet - he says to me I just lost two championships! It's evident even today from what katie is saying and in the articles that he still feels that he's going for titles and records - not the jumpers. He doesn't own athletes or anything that they do. I can't believe that I have wasted my time talking about this childish matter. What's done is done - but I had to put people in their place!!

OVC :no: with vikings

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:11 am

OK I am locking this thread. This board is not the right place for personal attacks on people or coaches.

Anytime a coach opens up an indoor facility they give people the opportunity to vault that they would not have otherwise had.

Return to “Northeast Region”