GREG DUPLANTIS?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:34 pm

Yea, but when your 5-5 125 you've got a decent chance to blow off the top of an 11' fungo
run high and hold fast

vaulter580
PV Whiz

?

Unread postby vaulter580 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:21 pm

this one time at pole vault camp................................................
BZ
Arkansas State University
sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Re: Duplantis in the Day!

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:18 pm

mrose wrote:This will put his explosiveness in prospective. He obviously has many proven record now on the books, but my most amazing memory of Greg was his undisputed record on the "fungo" pole. You new vaulters call it a "training" pole. Back in the day, they were short and sort of flexible. pretty close to the flex of a car antenna. Well, we used to have competitions with an 11 ft fungo. You could only 3 step the approach. Well, Duplantis smoked everybody. I'm not going to even post the heigth that I remember, because....well, a few of you won't beleive it. Let's just say it was probably a world record for push off!

Come on finish the story. That's cruel and unusual punishment to start it and not finish it. :(
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Erica
PV Whiz
Expertise: Olympian

Unread postby Erica » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:35 pm

I had dinner with Dup a couple times in Reno, and of course during that time the height topic came up. He was still trying to convince me that he was 5'6" but I knew I was taller than him! He gave me a very important piece of advice: "Wear your orthodics in your vault spikes...You want to take advantage of every 1/4 inch you can get!"[/quote]

A-Train
PV Newbie

Shinebox

Unread postby A-Train » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:20 pm

I hear that this Greg Duplantis fella has to go to specific workshops to lower his self esteem because its soo high. I don't know, thats just something I heard.

SkyHigh21
PV Fan

Unread postby SkyHigh21 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:34 pm

I have video of Duplantis running 12 lefts (24 strides) jumping mid 18'. Its an awesome clip. I think its on the Sky Systems VIdeo by Jan (not too sure which one) but its freekin amazing to watch him run. We nicknamed the clip, "The 24 strider." Its awesome.
That year my buddy Chris and I got a picture taken with Greg. Chris is all of 5'9 and Duplantis was at least 3 to four inches shorter than that. He's the man.
When good my jump... it will be done!- Sergei Bubka
(1994 interview about breaking the world record)

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”