Jeff Hartwig working on plan to bring down M40 record

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:29 am

What is the deal with the previous "record"?
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:19 am

Happy Birthday Stew, go rip it up!

Lt Don
PV Newbie

"Record" by L. Jessie

Unread postby Lt Don » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:13 pm

I am certainly not the authority on this, and I will try to be judicious about what I have been told. Larry Jessie's record setting jumps were typically at obscure meets with few or no credible/unbiased witnesses or other ranked jumpers. I have heard other stories which I will not post here because I do not believe it is appropriate on this forum. Suffice it to say that many in the PV world have doubts about the veracity of the record. Whether it is legit or not, it will be nice to clear the clouds away from this chapter and silence all the negativity once and for all.

I can throw no stones, Larry still jumped higher than me, but then almost everyone else did too! LOL!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:56 pm

SlickVT wrote:What is the deal with the previous "record"?

I got an email from an anonymous person asking me to post this:

Allegedly the holder made the mark with USATF officiating and an insurance company payout yet it wasn't made in the US. Those questioning the mark were threatened with lawsuits, and I may be too for revisiting this. As a former Wall Street guy, I suggested that the canceled check received back from the insurance company would prove once and for all that the mark was good and that the claim was paid ˆ standard due diligence procedures. That evidence could not be produced nor the explanation as to why a USATF official would certify a mark made out of the US. A cloud of suspicion has been around MANY marks in the career of the athlete. This is unfortunate because he was a very good vaulter.

The stories go FAR beyond this particular mark. In 1995 at the World Masters Championships in Buffalo the athlete arrived at the meet fresh off of another WR at 5.40m (17‚ 8 ∏‰) ten days before. In perfect conditions including a nice tailwind he made his opening height of 4.45m (14‚ 7 ∏‰) on his last attempt, won at 4.60m (15‚ 1‰) and missed all three at 4.70m (15‚ 5‰). From that day forward the „truth‰ seemed to be out as NO ONE with a 17‚ 8‰ PR opens at 14‚ 7‰ in a big meet in perfect conditions. Jump forward to M45 when he jumped 5.10m (16‚ 8 ∏‰) only to get 5th at the World Champs at 4.10m (13‚ 5 π‰) and retired shortly afterwards.

Logic brought the first suspicion as the vaulter was reportedly paid $25,000 to be the first 40 year old to jump 17‚ when he made 5.20m (17‚ ≤‰). A short time later he supposedly was paid $50,000 when he cleared 5.25m (17‚ 2 ≤‰). Who would ever pay $25,000 more for 2‰ higher after you just paid $25,000? Again ˆ these are the highlights and represent no more than the trailer of a movie.

With all of this said, I know the athlete well and like him very much. I never understood why someone with his talent would put himself in this position of scrutiny.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”