Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

VAVAULTER
PV Nerd
Expertise: College coach for 10 years.
Lifetime Best: 17'(5.20)
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Oswego State in Up State NY

Unread postby VAVAULTER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:00 am

Hello, I am the new head coach at DIII Oswego State University. I was a vaulter at a DI College (Bronco's Favorite Division jk)and have been coaching at the D1 level for the past 7 years with success in that event and others. I am looking to build a good vault program here. One thing that will set me apart from other coaches is that I am a track and field coach that coaches the vault. That means I have experience in other events that I use to help aid with training and coaching in the vault. I have the knowledge to coach all jumping, hurdling and throws events. I have had success coaching my athletes from 6-5 in the HJ to 6-10, 21'6" in the LJ to 23', 48' TJ to 50' 4", female heptathletes from 4200pts to 5400pts, and Decathlete male vaulter's from 12'9" to 15'6" and female vaulter's from 10' to 12'. One of the most important things to think about if you look at OSU, I am the Vault coach and the head coach. When we need poles I will get poles. Not many Head coaches are vault coaches. So when it comes time to buy 3-4 new poles for your progression I will get them. Ask the DII volunteer vault coach if he wil be able to convince their Head coach to buy 3-4 poles at one time in this economy with budgets getting hacked and slashed. If you have ever bought poles you know the kind of money I am talking about. If that coach can say yes to that question and be truthful then that is a good situation.

We have a brand new UCS pole vault pit with standards, an additional pole vault pit with standards. We are also having our indoor facility turned into a 4 lane 200m track where I am having 3 vault boxes put in the ground. Currently we have one box in the ground and roll a runway out. I am in the midst of getting a new rope with about a 15' radius hung from the roof as well as a set of rings to train on. I also plan to host vaulting camps and clinics. I have been apart of the vaulting community since I started vaulting as a junior in HS in 1993. By my senior year I was a state champion. I graduated and went to a DIII school first, with no vault coach and set the school record there and won the Conference. I transferred to a D 1 school that had a coach and I won conference there and set a school record there. Since then I have been coaching at various levels. I have attended many jumps/sprints and throw's clinics, camps and Coaches education programs to help me be the coach that I am today. I have learned a lot about how to coach the vault better through knowing how to coach the other events.

My philosophy is to train you like a sprinter, improve your technique and make you stronger through lifting, general strength and gymnastics. You will also be pushed to get a great education and become a productive member of society. TEAM is the key word if you come to OSU.

One final thing. MY boss (the Athletic Director) was a very successful track and field coach from the 70's to 2000. So when I need something he gets it for me. When I was hired in April he went and bought a brand new pole vault pit and had it delivered before I arrived. I'm not sure how many A.D.'s out there are buying $15,000 pole vault pits without being begged and then asking for a fundraiser to be done. This is a great situation.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”