17' anyone?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:10 am

matthew2 wrote:Oklahoma will have a 17 foot vaulter next year.

sorry to kinda steal a thread but whos in oklahoma?
Vault Old School wrote:Hey I was just wondering if anybody out there knew Bubka's Height, Weight, Body Fat%, etc. when he was competing?

bjvando wrote:i heard he was 7 ft tall, with a negative body-fat percentage......

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:41 am

SweetPVJumps wrote:sorry ms. rainbow :o
ok fine lets focus on the topic again. 4 inches for hall to get to 17-not too much to ask for at all. i hope to see him go very high next year
mccorkel definatley has TALENT. i just wonder how much his height will hold him back. i hope to see him go higher and higher, but you can only get so much pushoff from those shorter poles!!! but i think if he does get on longer poles theres almost no doubt he will be adding some impressive height to his pr

fine, so as not to get my post killed...i really doubt any of the top 3 in this state will get 18'3". just me, i dont see it. theres only so much tech. then its all about YOU! im sure one will get 17'+ outdoors. great if all 3 get there. we will see.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:21 am

spencer doesnt jump off the ground to get over a sail piece

It's just a process of toning several things, one at a time, and everything has to be revisited periodically. He does get off the ground well at times, but not all of the time. Anyone who knows anything about the development of a vaulter will tell you "it's a work in progress!" He's successfully jumping on poles rated 56 lbs. above his body weight, so he can't be a total loser as you would depict him to be. You guys are all young and NOBODY expects you to PR everyday!

As far as getting on longer poles, we have them. He's gotten on them. Not consistant yet, but who is? That's why we train and learn. For the past couple of weeks, we've been working everything from a shorter run and he still makes 17' look easy. We will probably try to get back to his longer run this week preparing for NIKE.

Joe Dial is 5'8" and jumped 19'06". Jeff Hartwig is 6'3" and jumped 19'9". Not sure that the height of a vaulter makes that much difference. Looks like about 3 inches from here.

Spencer has some ape arms and standing finger tips to finger tips, with arms extended, I've got about 3/4" on him.....and I'm right at 6 foot tall.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:12 am

vaultin high wrote:Let's see if I can set some things straight for you guys. Spencer McCorkel is 5'7". As far as who will be first to get 17 next year, I don't think Spencer is worried about it. Been there done that, he's moving on. Nitro, what is your problem with Spencer? Has he done something to you or something? It seems you dog him every chance you get.
hes hit 17 more than hes hit 15
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:14 am

Ok i have an idea, lets not talk crap about any vaulter unless they are on here to defend themselves.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:26 am

vaultin high wrote:Let's see if I can set some things straight for you guys. Spencer McCorkel is 5'7". As far as who will be first to get 17 next year, I don't think Spencer is worried about it. Been there done that, he's moving on. Nitro, what is your problem with Spencer? Has he done something to you or something? It seems you dog him every chance you get.

i have nothing agianst him ive talked to him many times and hes a good person and i cant wait till next year because i know what AVC coach can do... spencers push off is insane and once he learns to jump off the ground better and get to a longer pole 18 feet should really be nothing and 19 feet might be in the question

i think that hall will go about low to mid 17's next year as a sr. and that Schipper will go about 16 6 as a sr.

vault3rb0y wrote:The state record here.... is 16'5.
pretty sad right?? this is a pretty cool website to see some NY records if ur interested, but i got the highlight for you.
http://www.tullyrunners.com/RecNysBoys.htm

8G: 3.81 12-6 Ryan Dall (North Rockland, Thiells) 1990
Fr: 4.42 14-6 Ryan Dall (North Rockland, Thiells) 1991
So: 4.73 15-6.25 Ryan Dall (North Rockland, Thiells) 1992
Jr: 5.00 16-4.75 Ryan Dall (North Rockland, Thiells) 1993
Sr: 5.005 16-5 Joel Carusone (Guilderland) 1999 (Jun 5, States, Kingston)

indiana's are

8th grade: 14 me
9th grade: 15' 10" me
10th grade: 16' 6" hunter hall
11th grade: 16' 10" Mark Buse
12th grade: 5.20m Mark Buse
pain is only temporary victory is forever

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:03 pm

nice.... yea there isnt quite enough interest in NY yet. The earliest ive seen anyone start vaulting is 7th grade, and thats mike dempsey, who is now an impressive jumper. He jumped 15'3 at states but it was a 16 jump no doubt. Hes a junior. I started in 8th grade, with no coach, just this past year has been serious work with a coach, i cant wait to go down to arkansas and get some very serious coaching. I visited for a week and learned more than i had in a whole year. Of course, i learned a ton of things to improve on, but didnt have time to improve them :-(. SHould be a lot of fun this summer. I think next year we have the possibility of seeing quite a few 17' jumpers, just like this year. Id say Hunter, Spencer, Corey, and a few others. Cant wait to see it at Nikes.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:06 pm

me and hunter wont be competing at nike outdoors this year :mad:

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:54 pm

nitro wrote:me and hunter wont be competing at nike outdoors this year :mad:
why not, got another meet to go to or somethin?

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:02 pm

ya jr. olympics state qualifying and neither one of us is jumping that great so its not worth the money

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:19 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Ok i have an idea, lets not talk crap about any vaulter unless they are on here to defend themselves.

agreed :yes:

and even then, try to limit it whenever possible and not make vicious attacks at any time.
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:21 pm

[quote="bvpv07"][quote="vault3rb0y"]Ok i have an idea, lets not talk crap about any vaulter unless they are on here to defend themselves.[/quote]

agreed :yes:

and even then, try to limit it whenever possible and not make vicious attacks at any time.[/quote]

agreed again :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”