Welcome Meaux to 14ft Club

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

FLY-NHG
PV Wannabe

Welcome Meaux to 14ft Club

Unread postby FLY-NHG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:04 am

Big congrat to Morgann LeLeux not only winning New Balance outdoor but turning around flying down to Quintana Beach Vault and hitting a PR of 14ft!!!! Meaux had 3 good attempts at 14-3 but really she had nothing lefted in the tank. Again big congrat Meaux way to FLY-HIGH-NHG
What U do on the ground predicts what U do in the air leleux@mindspring.com

bayouvaulter
PV Nerd

Re: Welcome Meaux to 14ft Club

Unread postby bayouvaulter » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:28 am

Congrats!!! Awesome job Morgann :yes: Good Luck the rest of the summer!!

Kevin
There's No Ceiling On Effort!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Welcome Meaux to 14ft Club

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:15 am

http://www.iberianet.com/articles/2010/ ... 998580.txt

Making a mark

By Neal McClelland
The Daily Iberian
Published/Last Modified on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:07 PM CDT

Print this story Post a Comment ShareThis
Morgann LeLeux continued her dominance this summer in pole vault as she claimed first place in both the New Balance Nationals on Friday in Greensboro, North Carolina then followed that with a first place and a new personal record at the Quintana Beach Vault in Galveston, Texas.

LeLeux, who won the Nike Indoor Nationals earlier this year, added the outdoor title with a height of 13 feet, 4 1/4 inches, then cleared 14 feet at Quintana, the first time she has cleared the height in competition. She said that she competed against 12 other at New Balance, including friendly rival Merritt Van Meter of New Orleans and two other top vaulters from Indiana, Margo Tucker and Ellie McCardwell.

“We all made 13-0 1/4, then I was the first up and made 13-4 1/4,” said LeLeux, which was enough to win the competition then she tried to set a new junior record at 13-10 but couldn’t clear the height.

Advertisement

Following her victory on Friday, LeLeux flew to Galveston for the Quintana and cleared 14 feet on her second attempt Saturday.

“We came in at 12-6, then went to 13, then 13-6, then went to 14,” said LeLeux. “It took forever for me to get that height. I had done it three times in practice the week before and a whole bunch of times before that.

“It just tok the right meet at the right time to finally get it.”

According to polevaultpower.com, it is only the third time that 14 feet has been cleared by a girls high school vaulter in an outdoor setting, the height has been cleared three other times in an indoor setting.

LeLeux said that the difference between not clearing at the New Balance meet and clearing at Quintana was getting used to some new poles, which she had received earlier and was not quite used to them.

She also added that during a meet, she has so much adrenaline surging through her that sometimes it’s hard to control what she is doing during a jump, which she said could also be the reason its taken so long to finally clear 14 feet.

LeLeux had been close in several outdoor meets this year as she jumped for Catholic High but would always come up just short of the height.

“I probably should have gone to the 14 foot poles sooner, but I was clearing 14 feet with the shorter poles,” said LeLeux. “We waited until the end to make the switch and now it seems like a breeze.”

The CHS vaulter has four meets left this summer, including New Heights Gym annual Fourth of July pole vault meet and two qualifying meets before heading to Sacramento, California, for the Junior Olympic National Meet in the last week of July

Now that she has cleared 14 feet on the vault, LeLeux said he next goal is to try to break the national record of 14-3 then her personal goal is to vault 14-6 before the end of the summer.

“I think I can do it,” said LeLeux. “I have plenty of height of the 14 foot pole and we are expecting to get in some 14-6 poles very soon.

“As long as I can get on that pole, I should get a good chance.”

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”